So I Am Considering A Zoa

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As one of the few types of coral I actually like, alongside GSP and other polypy type thangalangs. Every time I go to my Lfs, I find myself eyeballing them. Considering adding a zoa garden to my upcoming build.

Flow requirements? It's mostly a fish only tank, with a bare handful of the above mentioned corals, so I don't intend to have crazy high flow, but can bump it up a little if necessary.

Placement? Where in the tank should they go? I'm currently shopping for a perfect piece of shelf rock, and intend to put it as the cap of an arch, dead center in the tank. Good or bad idea?

Lighting. What sort of PAR do they require? I don't have it in my budget to run fancy lights, at least not for a while. It's likely going to be one 300w black box. Which I doubt will be sufficient for them in a 230 gallon.

Quarantine. Since they come on a plug, which can have tomonts attached, is it as simple as leaving them in something like a 10 Gallon with a good light/heater/small powerhead, or do they need anything else? I imagine some sort of nutrients which could be achieved by using tank water.

Pests. I have heard mention that corals can sometimes come with all sorts of nasty hitchhikers. Those are dealt with by copper based dips and whatnot, yes?

Am I missing anything?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are great beginners corals. The 300w black box is a great choice. Dipping the coral in bayer pesticide or a coral dip is a good idea. Will you be quarantining all of your fish and corals?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are great beginners corals. The 300w black box is a great choice. Dipping the coral in bayer pesticide or a coral dip is a good idea. Will you be quarantining all of your fish and corals?

Excellent. It's a deep tank, 30", but should be alright with the zoa garden in about 15" of water, probably 24" from the light.

I will be, yes. Haven't yet decided on the protocol for the fish, would depend on their sensitivity whether they get TTM or Copper, basically the only two options I have in the great white north.
Corals and inverts get a minimum 45 days in isolation.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, depending on which ones you get have different light requirements. Flow is the same. Low to moderate flow covers most varieties. I like to see the skirts barely move in the current.

Which variety are you looking at?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. It's a deep tank, 30", but should be alright with the zoa garden in about 15" of water, probably 24" from the light.

I will be, yes. Haven't yet decided on the protocol for the fish, would depend on their sensitivity whether they get TTM or Copper, basically the only two options I have in the great white north.
Corals and inverts get a minimum 45 days in isolation.
I blast my zoas with light. They do seem to reach up high for light when they’re too low but they are easy beginner corals. They can thrive in low light and high so just put where you want. In larger colonies, they handle flow quite well.
9824C877-9E3E-40F0-B7AD-3E2EC7E822AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, depending on which ones you get have different light requirements. Flow is the same. Low to moderate flow covers most varieties. I like to see the skirts barely move in the current.

Which variety are you looking at?

That I am still looking into. Certainly NOT palys.

Back