So I did a thing

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued up some shelf rock with suction cups and attached them to the back of the tank. The shelf rock is cradled on an epoxy putty cushion formed to the base rock to take some of the weight. The pieces I'm talking about are the three near the top. There's not a lot in the tank yet. It's a 40 gal breeder.

I did it to maximize reef estate while maintaining access and circulation along the back. I can still access the entire back with my hand.

KIMG1809.JPG

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued up some shelf rock with suction cups and attached them to the back of the tank. The shelf rock is cradled on an epoxy putty cushion formed to the base rock to take some of the weight. The pieces I'm talking about are the three near the top. There's not a lot in the tank yet. It's a 40 gal breeder.

I did it to maximize reef estate while maintaining access and circulation along the back. I can still access the entire back with my hand.

KIMG1809.JPG
From my experience with suction caps it won't last a year. I would rather glue magnet to the rock - cheap algae scrubber and super glue/double sided tape other half to the outside of the glass.
Or recycle old magnetically mounted wavemaker etc.
Encapsulating neodymium magnet in putty would work too, but any leak may lead to disaster, nickel will corrode away and corroding magnet can't be healthy for the reef.

OP
OP
M

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with suction caps it won't last a year. I would rather glue magnet to the rock - cheap algae scrubber and super glue/double sided tape other half to the outside of the glass.
Or recycle old magnetically mounted wavemaker etc.
Encapsulating neodymium magnet in putty would work too, but any leak may lead to disaster, nickel will corrode away and corroding magnet can't be healthy for the reef.
I couldn't find reef safe magnets but figured I could monitor the suction cups and replace. Worst case I can putty the rocks to the tank after a year if I find no need to remove them.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find reef safe magnets but figured I could monitor the suction cups and replace. Worst case I can putty the rocks to the tank after a year if I find no need to remove them.
I too use old recycled equipment magnets for the water side, and Amazon magnets on the air side.

I make these in different proportions and place GSP on them, let them grow, and trade them for mega trades with LFS, as they sell for him like hotcakes

In my DT I have monti's and Acros on one that have never moved in 18 months - great use of space

OP
OP
M

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use old recycled equipment magnets for the water side, and Amazon magnets on the air side.

I make these in different proportions and place GSP on them, let them grow, and trade them for mega trades with LFS, as they sell for him like hotcakes

In my DT I have monti's and Acros on one that have never moved in 18 months - great use of space
I wish I had a ton of old equipment magnets. Anyone who wants to send me some I'll pay shipping.

I do have old equipment with sucks on them that still works after 20 years, amazingly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back