So I got more fish!

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation as you. I started my tank around Thanksgiving and cycled with Fritz turbo start. I added 3 clowns and 5 anthias in my first batch of fish. Then I added 2 garden eels (sadly one decided to check out my power head one night) a few weeks ago. Last weekend I added 2 benggi Cardinals, a carpenter wrasse, 2 chalk bass, a falco hawkfish, and a Royal Gramma. I've also got a few of the easier corals.

I have a feeling that I consistently overfeed. I use LRS and a homemade mix of clans, oysters, and mussels. I've always free heavy though, so I think that's helped get my bacteria population established. I haven't seen any ammonia at all, just an increase in phosphate, although the numbers aren't bad. I'm dealing with a pretty decent sized system though (@95 gallon tank with a sump the same size but with less water volume) and run a fuge with good cheato growth.

I have gone through some ugly passes and have diatoms in my display. I've had hair algea and I think cyano in my dude fuge though, likely due to my heavy feeding. My next two fish are going to be yellow head sleeper gobies that should be ready in another week .Originally I had planned on two pink spot gobies but the ones the LFS got ended up not liking each other. He got in a true bonded pair of sleeper gobies so I swapped them out . I'm hoping they'll help out and clean my sand, because it looks no where near as good as yours.

I also haven't QT'd for a similar reason, although my LFS orders in the fish for me and keeps them for at least 2 weeks before I get them . They are separate from his other tanks and he ensures they all look healthy and are eating before I get them. Not perfect, but I'm comfortable with it.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation as you. I started my tank around Thanksgiving and cycled with Fritz turbo start. I added 3 clowns and 5 anthias in my first batch of fish. Then I added 2 garden eels (sadly one decided to check out my power head one night) a few weeks ago. Last weekend I added 2 benggi Cardinals, a carpenter wrasse, 2 chalk bass, a falco hawkfish, and a Royal Gramma. I've also got a few of the easier corals.

I have a feeling that I consistently overfeed. I use LRS and a homemade mix of clans, oysters, and mussels. I've always free heavy though, so I think that's helped get my bacteria population established. I haven't seen any ammonia at all, just an increase in phosphate, although the numbers aren't bad. I'm dealing with a pretty decent sized system though (@95 gallon tank with a sump the same size but with less water volume) and run a fuge with good cheato growth.

I have gone through some ugly passes and have diatoms in my display. I've had hair algea and I think cyano in my dude fuge though, likely due to my heavy feeding. My next two fish are going to be yellow head sleeper gobies that should be ready in another week .Originally I had planned on two pink spot gobies but the ones the LFS got ended up not liking each other. He got in a true bonded pair of sleeper gobies so I swapped them out . I'm hoping they'll help out and clean my sand, because it looks no where near as good as yours.

I also haven't QT'd for a similar reason, although my LFS orders in the fish for me and keeps them for at least 2 weeks before I get them . They are separate from his other tanks and he ensures they all look healthy and are eating before I get them. Not perfect, but I'm comfortable with it.

I haven't had any algea yet, but my setup is only a couple of months old and my lights are really weak. I'm curious if/when I'll get any algea at all. I haven't had any ammonia since my cycle completed but I always try to at least plan for the worst and try my best to prevent long term issues. Hopefully I am succeeding in that, but like many things, I guess time will tell.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking is this...(by the way I am fully aware that thinking is probably flawed).

So let's say I add one fish at a time...Each time I add a fish it likely comes from a different batch at the LFS, and different batches from other parts of the supply chain. This, in my mind, increases the probability that one batch of fish was exposed to any number of parasites and/or toxins.

As far as introducing the fish to my DT, I guess it more shifts all the risk into one big event instead of spreading it out. What I don't want to happen is to add one fish 6 months to a year from now and then it wiped out my whole tank due to a parasite. If it's going to happen let it happen now before I invests months into getting attached. My thinking is that if the fish survive the first month they are likely going to survive for many more months and hopefully years. Now that I am fully stocked 2 months in, there is very little chance of a parasite being introduced from an external source, since I will not be adding any more fish. That being said, I know the possibility is good that the parasites are already in the fish/DT and are suppressed rather than elimimated. I know that prophylactic QT may be the safest protocol as far as reducing risk in the DT, but at the end of the day we all have to do what we believe is the right thing.

I don't really to care to over analyze risk mitigation at this point, but rather see how things go and continue learning and finding out works for me.

Following along to see how this works out.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to see how this works out.

What is your expected outcome? You can be blunt, I won't take anything personal as I am here to learn and part of that learning is forming my own opinion based on others.

On a side note my NYOS nitrate kit came in today. My nitrate was around 5-10 before the new additions. Curious to see what my levels are today and also every Friday before my water change. I'm excited to get an accurate reading. Does anyone know if the test is for saltwater only?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your expected outcome?

I think there are too many variables to forecast an outcome.

One concern I'd have is that by adding all of these fish at the same time, you are introducing a bio load that your current nitrifying bacteria colony will be unable to process. This will lead a large ammonia spike and possibly, gill burn to your inhabitants, which can be fatal... and not without your fish suffering before their demise.

Frankly, I feel a bit annoyed with your LFS for failing to properly advise you. What I am saying here isn't ground-breaking, so I can't see why the LFS wouldn't inform you of the risks associated with your plan, other than to take your money and know that you would be back to spend more trying to correct the potential problems that may come with your approach.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are too many variables to forecast an outcome.

One concern I'd have is that by adding all of these fish at the same time, you are introducing a bio load that your current nitrifying bacteria colony will be unable to process. This will lead a large ammonia spike and possibly, gill burn to your inhabitants, which can be fatal... and not without your fish suffering before their demise.

Frankly, I feel a bit annoyed with your LFS for failing to properly advise you. What I am saying here isn't ground-breaking, so I can't see why the LFS wouldn't inform you of the risks associated with your plan, other than to take your money and know that you would be back to spend more trying to correct the potential problems that may come with your approach.

I'm offended and I take this comment personally!

Oh wait I said I wouldn't do that...

Just playing around. But to clarify I cycled my tank using 4ppm ammonia initial dose and 2ppm feeder doses and Dr. Tim's one and only. Cycle completed (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite) and at day 27 I added 2 Clownfish and 1 Azure Damsel. After 21 more days (tank setup for 48 days total) I added a Diamond Goby, a Melanarus Wrasse, and a Valenti Puffer.

When would you expect the ammonia spike? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I am testing daily using my API test kit as well as watching the ammonia badge at least 2 times per day.

Current parameters are
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
Salinity:1.024
Temp:76.8

I guess my API test kit was pretty accurate.

20190130_192717.jpg

Here's my skimmate, it was looking a little darker but I cleaned the cup and it seemed to skim clear after that. Maybe I cleaned it too much. Just starting to get it's color back.

20190130_194245.jpg

Ammonia test
20190130_194452.jpg

Nitrite and salinity test
20190130_200330.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm offended and I take this comment personally!

Oh wait I said I wouldn't do that...

Just playing around. But to clarify I cycled my tank using 4ppm ammonia initial dose and 2ppm feeder doses and Dr. Tim's one and only. Cycle completed (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite) and at day 27 I added 2 Clownfish and 1 Azure Damsel. After 21 more days (tank setup for 48 days total) I added a Diamond Goby, a Melanarus Wrasse, and a Valenti Puffer.

When would you expect the ammonia spike? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I am testing daily using my API test kit as well as watching the ammonia badge at least 2 times per day.

Current parameters are
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
Salinity:1.024
Temp:76.8

I guess my API test kit was pretty accurate.

20190130_192717.jpg

Here's my skimmate, it was looking a little darker but I cleaned the cup and it seemed to skim clear after that. Maybe I cleaned it too much. Just starting to get it's color back.

20190130_194245.jpg

Ammonia test
20190130_194452.jpg

Nitrite and salinity test
20190130_200330.jpg
Maybe my eyes are broken but color wise that looks like 0.5 ammonia.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom
I am off tomorrow, I work from home Friday and Friday is also my weekly water change day. I'm also off and home on the weekends. I have a 15 gallon and 20 gallon tank that I could move the fish to if the ammonia got too high to manage. I could set up the other 2 at once if needed. One is an all in one and I have an extra filter with media on standby.

In my honest opinion I think the ammonia spike would have already happened. I am feeding only frozen for the next week at least before I start adding pellets back into the mix. Any other suggestions?

On the LFS note, they were really busy both times I went in. They told me I couldn't have a Diamond Goby without having a lid on my first trip. To be fair they did not ask if I cycled the tank or anything.

It's the only reef store in San Antonio I believe. All the other stores I went too were a lot dirtier, had limited selection, no corals, etc.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting low on the reagent, so I will pick up some more tomorrow along with the saltwater reference card. To me this is a gooseegg.

inCollage_20190130_204012727.jpg
Yea it’s hard to tell for sure. I have green eyes so they naturally pick up more green in things I see.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s hard to tell for sure. I have green eyes so they naturally pick up more green in things I see.

Well it doesn't help that the darn tests are hard to read do begin with. Even with the card half the time. My sump badge shows 0 and I've never seen a test come out any more yellow so I assume this is 0. Will retest tomorrow with a test card.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom

These are pics from online of my LFS. They seem about this busy every time I go in. I do go in near closing time, so I don't think they would have time to ask every person about their parameters, the importance of cycling, bioload, etc.

Screenshot_20190130-205240.jpg

Coolest fish store I've been to, that's for sure.

Screenshot_20190130-205124.jpg
Screenshot_20190130-205037.jpg Screenshot_20190130-205003.jpg Screenshot_20190130-205213.jpg

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always dose prime to deal with ammonia but I think it’s zero as well (although tough to tell from a picture). You could also add in some more bottled bacteria to be on the safe side and give your BB a little boost.

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the LFS, I’ve got one in my area that I’m in a few times a week. All fish purchases through him are planned out. I’m not sure everybody gets the same attention or even wants the same attention and I assume during busier times, if someone comes in and tries to buy a fish, he’ll sell the fish. He has turned down sales before, but he’ll also hold the fish for you for a bit.

A bigger store I go to occasionally (it’s a 30 minute drive) is kind of the opposite. If you ask for a fish, you’ll get it and some of the employees aren’t as knowledgeable as you’d hope for. And it’s hard to blame them too much for not asking a ton of questions before they sell a fish. They’re in business to make money, and that’s not always conducive to being selective. And from a customer stand point, at the busier stores, you run the risk of not having the fish available next time you’re there.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the LFS, I’ve got one in my area that I’m in a few times a week. All fish purchases through him are planned out. I’m not sure everybody gets the same attention or even wants the same attention and I assume during busier times, if someone comes in and tries to buy a fish, he’ll sell the fish. He has turned down sales before, but he’ll also hold the fish for you for a bit.

A bigger store I go to occasionally (it’s a 30 minute drive) is kind of the opposite. If you ask for a fish, you’ll get it and some of the employees aren’t as knowledgeable as you’d hope for. And it’s hard to blame them too much for not asking a ton of questions before they sell a fish. They’re in business to make money, and that’s not always conducive to being selective. And from a customer stand point, at the busier stores, you run the risk of not having the fish available next time you’re there.

When I went they literally had one Diamond Goby, one Melanarus Wrasse and one Valenti Puffer. I thought for sure someone would snag them before me. This is also the only place that said they can custom order any fish. Every other place said either they don't do it or I would have to buy a lot at a time. Not as in a lot of different kinds. Like a lot of 20 clown fish or however many they come in. They also offered to make me a lid, for a fee of course and said they are a full service shop thast can help with setup and maintenance and what not.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking good man! Just keep up the water changes and test your parameters. Stay on top of it!

Thank you! I sure will.

Everyone showed up for roll call today and a quick photo session. My puffer puffed up for a minute, but then puffed back down. To me everyone looks happy and healthy.

20190131_074503.jpg 20190131_093439.jpg 20190131_093557.jpg 20190131_074202.jpg 20190131_075035.jpg 20190131_075102.jpg 20190131_094016.jpg 20190131_073934.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back