So i poisoned myself and my family with palytoxine last night. How do i get rid of the palys safely?

Krissu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I was cleaning powerheads last night in bucket, with some water and a bit of vinegar. Powerheads were turned on, which included quite a lot of splashing, then rinsed under running water. That was around 9 p.m.

Went to sleep soon after, only to wake up a few hours later with feeling freezing cold and coughing... The cold got so bad i was shaking so hard that couldnt walk straight or hold up the glass when went to get something to drink, and chills were so bad i thought might break my teeth. Thats how i imagine being out in arctics with wearing only swimsuite would feel, lol. Was ready to call the ambulance, but in hour or two the symptoms got less, and managed to sleep, so didnt. Been weak all day after but by night am finally feeling almost ok again.
Other family members got same symptoms, but less strong, around same time and are better now, too.

Why i think its palys- we all got same symptoms around same time, me about an hour before others (and i was dealing with pumps directly). And for some autumn virus, the timing, everyone getting ill at the same hour, just doesnt make sense.
And- later i remembered seeing a paly polyp attached on one of the powerheads some time ago. Didnt notice it when removing it to clean, but since i removed it with holding frame, no wonder i didnt notice, when not knowingly paying attention.

Why im writing so long, two reasons:
PLEASE be very careful if you have the toxic type in your tank, this is one nasty poison!!!
And,
HOW do i get rid of them??? I mean, i can get them out of the tank fairly easily. But i will not sell them to anyone, too dangerous. Cant flush them coz attached to the rock (and poisonous), cant throw to trash coz not sure if it goes to sorting factory and someone can touch them, cant bury them coz living in city and some dog would probably dig them out. Any way to neutralize the poison before tossing the rock? Its about 50 heads colony...

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ZERO experience palys, but I am wishing you and your family a speedy recovery no matter what the cause.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had palys in my tank 100+ and removed them without any problems ..I sold them to my lfs and a few other people who wanted them ..or put them in a sealed container and in the trash ....I've even scrapped them off my frag rack without problems ...its only when you try too destroy them that they release toxins

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i did...
Screenshot_20180315-145011.png

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give us a pic of this Paly . Thanks. I have a rock covered with some rather plain to ugly looking paly & need to nuke them but not kill the rock also if possible.
I'm very sorry this happened & hope You & Family are feeling better !

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all :)
Will get some bleach tomorrow.
And will try to remember to get picture too, is past midnight here and lamps off already

nuke the rock outside and wear a surgical mask if not a full on respirator!!!!

OP
OP
K

Krissu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You all for your input and advice :)
Glad to say we are all back in health, just somewhat tired from the weekend experience.
No more palys in my tank for now... Though im sad over the loss in heart, kinda loved the little buggers... Always found them pretty in their own way.
I did take some pictures but need to sort them out to see if any will reflect their real look, phone cam messed up the colours big time.

Surprisingly- i removed them during my lunch break, by the night, maybe 8 hours later i was looking at my tank, and the anemone is about half bigger than its been for some weeks, star polyps are bigger and fluffier than theyve been for some months, even the staghorn is all fluffy and puffy... Ant the small zoa colony that was melting some weeks ago and i believed was dead, has one polyp a bit open. In others dont see much difference atm. Maybe coincidense, i was not expecting any change on that, especially so fast (well, tbh i didnt think of that at all, was just worried about people around).

Until i get the pictures sorted to see if theres any that could be of use, thought a little description wouldnt hurt. When i got the palys, they were mostly light greenish/brown. In my tank they developed lovely mild hue of the luminescent tone just between neon green and neon yellow. Nothing bright, just a soft glow, and quite pretty at that. The polyps were still brownish green, the glow was rather like extra layer on top. The plates size was about of the nail of the thumb, with pretty long tentacles (depending on flow, that). With English not being my first language, is difficult to describe, but maybe will help until i get pics sorted (too tired for it tonight).

Just once again, thank You all for advise and caring, and for making this forum such a wonderful place to be a member of!

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your saying the palys in the tank not touching other corals are effecting other corals?

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragged and shredded a few hundred palys, and zoanthids today. When I’m fragging them, I do it under water to keep it contained then change out the water occasionally. So far so good. Best of luck to ya.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back