So I was bored and decided to build this...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spare Aqueon 40 long in inventory. Desperate to soothe my boredom, I built this All In One tank.

So here was the idea:

I wanted an all in one tank, but I wanted it built in a way that offered lots of room for support equipment. I like symmetry and like a tank that looks balanced. The depth of the tank is only 12 inches, so, building a separate chamber at the bank wouldn't leave me with much display.

The tank is 48 inches across. And to give it a symmetrical look, I created two 12 inch chambers on each side.

The two chambers are connected using 3 pieces of 3/4" PCV and 6 bulkheads, which are covered in substrate.

Have a look...
IMG_8033.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spare Aqueon 40 long in inventory. Desperate to soothe my boredom, I built this All In One tank.

So here was the idea:

I wanted an all in one tank, but I wanted it built in a way that offered lots of room for support equipment. I like symmetry and like a tank that looks balanced. The depth of the tank is only 12 inches, so, building a separate chamber at the bank wouldn't leave me with much display.

The tank is 48 inches across. And to give it a symmetrical look, I created two 12 inch chambers on each side.

The two chambers are connected using 3 pieces of 3/4" PCV and 6 bulkheads, which are covered in substrate.

Have a look...
IMG_8033.jpeg
Interesting, what are your plans for either chamber? What will you be putting in the middle? Will it just be passive flow between the outside chambers or will you be using any pumps to circulate water between them? Are the partitions slotted for water to move between them and the center section? Talk it up man!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the finished product:

On the right, I have mechanical filtration where water passes through to a chamber of live rock. Also, I have some Chaetomorpha growing among the live rock for nutrient export. I made a custom mount to hang my Kessil H80 on the side. Good growth when the nutrients are elevated.

The water passes through the plumbing under the substrate and into the return chamber which house the return pump, protein skimmer and float for ATO.

Very convenient to work on.
IMG_3833.jpeg

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my power rack just for kicks. The things that come out of a person during a pandemic! :rolleyes:

This all started while thinking about how to build a portable system that you could put in the back of a pickup for a long distance transport.

IMG_8081.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the finished product:

On the right, I have mechanical filtration where water passes through to a chamber of live rock. Also, I have some Chaetomorpha growing among the live rock for nutrient export. I made a custom mount to hang my Kessil H80 on the side. Good growth when the nutrients are elevated.

The water passes through the plumbing under the substrate and into the return chamber which house the return pump, protein skimmer and float for ATO.

Very convenient to work on.
IMG_3833.jpeg
Super cool, kudos on the effort. I like it.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my power rack just for kicks. The things that come out of a person during a pandemic! :rolleyes:

This all started while thinking about how to build a portable system that you could put in the back of a pickup for a long distance transport.

IMG_8081.jpeg
For when you want to go road tripping with your reef!

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8081.jpeg
This just made me think about the old middle Atlantic half-rack I have collecting dust...

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the complements everybody. :D

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome!!!!! Really well thought out!

Any issues with the flow from the refuge chamber to the return chamber?

None at all. It's (3) 3/4 inch pieces of PVC, traveling 24 inches. Lots of turbulence in the return chamber from the flow.

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have been better if the tank was 6 feet. That would provide a 48inch display.
It can actually ALL be display. Lots of life will live in either end chamber. Just today, b4 seeing this thread, I decided to do exactly what you are doing in a 180, except I am going to make the partitions of black eggcrate, removable, to let water circulate rather than the piping. No pumps or return, just powerheads and wavemakers.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can actually ALL be display. Lots of life will live in either end chamber. Just today, b4 seeing this thread, I decided to do exactly what you are doing in a 180, except I am going to make the partitions of black eggcrate, removable, to let water circulate rather than the piping. No pumps or return, just powerheads and wavemakers.

I decided against egg crate. I once used it as a divider to keep 2 pair of clown fish separated in the same tank.

It worked great at first, but it became coated with Coraline algae and vermetid snails. It was very difficult to keep clean and over time, the openings began to close.

Something to think about.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back