So, is anybody able to tell me what this might be?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, but could also be a majano- they're in the same genus as BTAs, but they spread like aiptasia, and similar efforts should be taken to remove them.

Chances are if you didn't purposely put it in the tank, it's a majano.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a majano. They can look pretty and "bubbled" as adults, as shown below, but they're invasive and sting other corals/inverts. They should be eliminated.
Majano-anemone-Green-2.jpg

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, the tiny green thing. Its smaller than a dime and looks nothing like anything ive put into the tank (intentionally). I do have aiptasia, their numbers are increasing with the reef roids, and I can't do peppermint shrimp.

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, the tiny green thing. Its smaller than a dime and looks nothing like anything ive put into the tank (intentionally). I do have aiptasia, their numbers are increasing with the reef roids, and I can't do peppermint shrimp.
Sounds like bad news :/ You could inject it with aiptasia x and then superglue over where it was. That seems to work well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im thinking Majano also. There are many that will keep them.
I would say with the nice color, move it to the sump or retain and watch for it to multiply. It may or may not. If youre down right nervous about it multiplying, you can rid of it by injecting the center core of it with Kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a toothpaste like consistency via syringe

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on all accounts I've read so far, I'm doomed. I suppose thats what I get for not QTing anything. I doubt I'll inject it with anything, my old eyes don't see a center, if it doubled in size it would be the size of a penny, maybe.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just trying to look on the bright side but aren't the bubbles of a Mojano more towards the tips of the tentacles while the bubbles of a BTA further down the shaft, like this?
BTA pic.jpg

Photo from https://seaunseen.com/bubble-tip-sea-anemone/
I think I'd give it a chance to grow up a bit for a better ID.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on all accounts I've read so far, I'm doomed. I suppose thats what I get for not QTing anything. I doubt I'll inject it with anything, my old eyes don't see a center, if it doubled in size it would be the size of a penny, maybe.
I mean it's not the end of the world, dont put too much food and the anemones wont grow as much

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back