So this is supposed to be a saltwater forum but i have some freshwater questions

Could the tank work?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Probably

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • no

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hqdefault.jpg

Just a google image but this is what a mudskipper habitat should look like. I'm not sure a puffer would be a good idea .

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um? How? Mudskippers need low water and lots of "land". Puffers live in water. I'm not sure you understand what a mudskipper requires.
So this probably sound weird but I wanna try to do a big swimming area for the puffer and have Sand pile up slowly toward one side and have rocks. So the mudskippers can have rocks to rest on and shallow water to swim in. Then I will use the sand to create a shore sort of thing for the crabs. At least that’s the plan. Planning on drawing it out later

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hqdefault.jpg

Just a google image but this is what a mudskipper habitat should look like. I'm not sure a puffer would be a good idea .
It will be like the pic but the water gets deeper and deeper until it’s enough for puffers

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you messaged us asking for answers but I agree with the others and think it should stay here for learning purposes. You're right not many people on here will be doing the same kind of tank, but it is still interesting and we do hope for success. I think you're best course of action is to maybe leave the crabs out of it and just go puffers and mudskippers. I have direct experience with either just what I've gathered being in this and the freshwater hobby. I would go as big as you can on the tank, or as big you have room for. Being that the tank wont be full and that a large portion of it will be taken up by mud. for that reason I would go big, maybe even a 75 gallon. with a 75 gallon you will still only end up with probably 30-40 gallons in a set up like this. I think it would be pretty and a neat tank. Especially if you put some decent lights on it and grow some live plants.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you messaged us asking for answers but I agree with the others and think it should stay here for learning purposes. You're right not many people on here will be doing the same kind of tank, but it is still interesting and we do hope for success. I think you're best course of action is to maybe leave the crabs out of it and just go puffers and mudskippers. I have direct experience with either just what I've gathered being in this and the freshwater hobby. I would go as big as you can on the tank, or as big you have room for. Being that the tank wont be full and that a large portion of it will be taken up by mud. for that reason I would go big, maybe even a 75 gallon. with a 75 gallon you will still only end up with probably 30-40 gallons in a set up like this. I think it would be pretty and a neat tank. Especially if you put some decent lights on it and grow some live plants.

My plan is to try is to still try the crabs. I’m trying to maximize the water capacity though. Thanks for helping me and giving me advice.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don’t want to spend too much tho. Still trying to figure it out, why I came hear for advice. Think I’m gonna start a conversation with some people to help with tank planning. Probably gonna add you and some others

So others may read. How i would build a mixed habitat that would include the fish you have decided on, based on my experience of keeping fish since I was 10 ranging from fw pipe fish to piranha. There maybe other ways but would be my way.

a6cc0af79222b6aa4abd41fdef3846c9.jpg

Ok so this is not to scale in the slightest.

Tank size. I would probably select a 5’ tank by about 30” tall and 18-20” wide.

The red line is how i would place the spray bar of a canister filter.

To create the beach front i would use slate, as its inert and flat or plexiglass either way would secure to the tank with silicone. The brown in the middle is driftwood and attached plants,

Next would be substrate behind the slate. I would probably start with a shallow base of flourite so i wouldnt have to add iron supplements later for the plants. On top of this would well rinsed play sand.

Tank bottom of the aquatic section would be bare bottom with a few large river stones, and probably some pieces of styrofoam to hide the spray bar but not necessary.

Lighting would be two part.

Aquarium side a pendant led or cfls to grow the mangrove. The mud skipper side most likely a reptile a/b bulb(on a temperature controller).

Keeping the beach wet.
2 ideas
mistking with attached hydrometer controller or a small 80gph pump that pumped water continuously onto the glass behind the beach. First option has less chance of failure.

You will need a well fitted lid, mudskippers can climb glass.

Feeding, besides personalities and water chemistry would be the other reason i wouldnt do this tank. Feeding the mudskipper i would culture live insects joshsfrogs.com the puffer wont eat any of this.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So others may read. How i would build a mixed habitat that would include the fish you have decided on, based on my experience of keeping fish since I was 10 ranging from fw pipe fish to piranha. There maybe other ways but would be my way.

a6cc0af79222b6aa4abd41fdef3846c9.jpg

Ok so this is not to scale in the slightest.

Tank size. I would probably select a 5’ tank by about 30” tall and 18-20” wide.

The red line is how i would place the spray bar of a canister filter.

To create the beach front i would use slate, as its inert and flat or plexiglass either way would secure to the tank with silicone. The brown in the middle is driftwood and attached plants,

Next would be substrate behind the slate. I would probably start with a shallow base of flourite so i wouldnt have to add iron supplements later for the plants. On top of this would well rinsed play sand.

Tank bottom of the aquatic section would be bare bottom with a few large river stones, and probably some pieces of styrofoam to hide the spray bar but not necessary.

Lighting would be two part.

Aquarium side a pendant led or cfls to grow the mangrove. The mud skipper side most likely a reptile a/b bulb(on a temperature controller).

Keeping the beach wet.
2 ideas
mistking with attached hydrometer controller or a small 80gph pump that pumped water continuously onto the glass behind the beach. First option has less chance of failure.

You will need a well fitted lid, mudskippers can climb glass.

Feeding, besides personalities and water chemistry would be the other reason i wouldnt do this tank. Feeding the mudskipper i would culture live insects joshsfrogs.com the puffer wont eat any of this.

Ok so PetSmart has like a $200 off sale on the Marineland 75 g set so do you think that will be ok? It’s smaller than what you suggested though I think it should be fine. I actually bought the same tank a few months ago but returned it do to the fact that I couldn’t drill it. Since there’s no drilling for this, I might get this tank tho it’s still a bit to big for me so I might get a bit smaller. I might just try to pile up the sand for the slope don’t really want to have to find plexiglass, cut it, and glue it. Instead of play sand I think I’ll use Carib sea sand. I think I’ll try to find a good led for the tank like one Kessil or a few Dennerle s .

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so PetSmart has like a $200 off sale on the Marineland 75 g set so do you think that will be ok? It’s smaller than what you suggested though I think it should be fine. I actually bought the same tank a few months ago but returned it do to the fact that I couldn’t drill it. Since there’s no drilling for this, I might get this tank tho it’s still a bit to big for me so I might get a bit smaller. I might just try to pile up the sand for the slope don’t really want to have to find plexiglass, cut it, and glue it. Instead of play sand I think I’ll use Carib sea sand. I think I’ll try to find a good led for the tank like one Kessil or a few Dennerle s .
I think a 75 gallon would be a great size.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallons are usually thin. I'd do it if you found one that's not thin.
I'v got a 60 gallon and it's a little over a foot wide but it's tall.
What about a marine land 65 g tank? They are on sale right now so

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back