New to Copepods, have some ?s

DD0513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon with 2 Oscellaris, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Firefish, 1 Pink Damsel and 2 Fighting Conch. Tank has been up and going for just over 3 months. I have just added the fish a couple at a time every couple weeks for the last month and a half. Diatoms are slowly starting to lessen. I plan on having a few more small fish in the future. Diamond Watchman, Algae Blenny, Six Line Wrasse, maybe a tang or small angel. Won’t get all of them but those are on my “list” of fish that interest me. I will add a few other clean up crew members as well. Hopefully move on to some beginner corals or anemone months down the road. I have added some Tigrio pods twice over the past month. So my questions about copepods are:

What copepods are probably the best type(s) to add given the info from above for my situation?

Can they establish a regenerating population in my tank if I don’t have a sump? I have read yes and no.

How many and how often would be suggested for my tank size and species list?

Thank you for the info!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I buy these1 time a year and always find pods in my tank.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re buying commercial pods then Tisbe pods will, or at least should, colonize the tank.

Tigger pods probably won’t colonize. IME these get wiped out by predators almost immediately and don’t reproduce well in our tanks.

For a varied pod population - almost all crabs, snails, corals etc will come in with them, as will chaeto and other macro algae from an LFS. If you put any sort of live rock in there it’ll also bring in a range of pod species and similar critters that will mostly colonize your tank.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
For the fish list I would suggest an African Leopard wrasse over the 6 line. I have read post after post that they become terrors and can kill off your other fish.

As for pods Tigriopus are the least likely to populate our tanks IMO it is because they thrive in tidal pools in nature.

Our blended pods which have Tisbe, Apocyclops and Tigriopus are great for a newer tank. Our Colossal pods add three pelagic species, Acartia, Pseudo and Parvo. These three like Tigriopus are less likely to colonize a system without a sump as they are out and about being eaten. They do however reproduce thousands of offspring every few days.

Dosing live phytoplankton will also help to establish colonies as it provides the pods with a natural diet high in nutrition. Also makes the pods higher in nutritional content because of the HUFA (Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids) it contains.

You can check us out here. Family owned and operated small business (just me and my wife @Ocean_Queenie) dedicated to providing high quality products at the lowest possible prices. We are also an active sponsor here in R2R as we to are reefers and what this forum to be available not only to use, but everyone else who has questions (which I think are answered pretty good on here) to have access.

Check us out
www.reefbysteele.com

OP
OP
D

DD0513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish list I would suggest an African Leopard wrasse over the 6 line. I have read post after post that they become terrors and can kill off your other fish.

As for pods Tigriopus are the least likely to populate our tanks IMO it is because they thrive in tidal pools in nature.

Our blended pods which have Tisbe, Apocyclops and Tigriopus are great for a newer tank. Our Colossal pods add three pelagic species, Acartia, Pseudo and Parvo. These three like Tigriopus are less likely to colonize a system without a sump as they are out and about being eaten. They do however reproduce thousands of offspring every few days.

Dosing live phytoplankton will also help to establish colonies as it provides the pods with a natural diet high in nutrition. Also makes the pods higher in nutritional content because of the HUFA (Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids) it contains.

You can check us out here. Family owned and operated small business (just me and my wife @Ocean_Queenie) dedicated to providing high quality products at the lowest possible prices. We are also an active sponsor here in R2R as we to are reefers and what this forum to be available not only to use, but everyone else who has questions (which I think are answered pretty good on here) to have access.

Check us out
www.reefbysteele.com
Thank for the info. I will check your webpage out for sure.

OP
OP
D

DD0513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re buying commercial pods then Tisbe pods will, or at least should, colonize the tank.

Tigger pods probably won’t colonize. IME these get wiped out by predators almost immediately and don’t reproduce well in our tanks.

For a varied pod population - almost all crabs, snails, corals etc will come in with them, as will chaeto and other macro algae from an LFS. If you put any sort of live rock in there it’ll also bring in a range of pod species and similar critters that will mostly colonize your tank.
Thank you for the info. I may try to find some Tisbe pods to try next.

OP
OP
D

DD0513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I buy these1 time a year and always find pods in my tank.

Thanks! I will take a look at these.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check us out
www.reefbysteele.com
I have a question, I use Algae barn because I like using auto ship. Do you do auto ship as well?

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck with algae barns galaxy pod pack populating my tank while being activly eaten by my fish. I stocked the pods and feed out plankton. Cuc allstars!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a question, I use Algae barn because I like using auto ship. Do you do auto ship as
We do and offer 10% OFF regular price. Currently I manually add your timeframe to my calendar and create the order which sends an invoice. going to add it as an automatic option to the site, but haven't determined the best add on to use for this. Thanks for asking, would love yo earn your business.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 132 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back