So what exactly are these little buggers...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jmdumbeck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
95
Reaction score
11
Location
Cranberry Twp, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 2 gallon Fluval spec set up with literally nothing but sand in it for almost a month and half now, and recently (a little over a week ago) added fresh lava rock and a few dead coral pieces from Samoa my friend had brought back. I have nothing living in the tank whatsoever. I've been just thinking about what to put in it. Tonight I turned on the light and found these all over the glass of the tank. I'm assuming they came from the rock from Samoa. My reef-buddy took a look at the picture and said it looks like hydroid medusae. Any thoughts? I'm hearing it's bad news, but I'm not sure what to do about them and HOW bad exactly this is. Thanks everyone!
photo(4).jpg
 
Hydroid Jellyfish
 
Okay, thanks for the ID. Are we sure this isn't something to worry about? My friend said once they are on the rocks, its nearly impossible to get rid of them
 
Hydroid jellies.

Your friend was talking about aiptasia nems. Totally different critter. The hydroids will most likely die out on their own.
 
Wellllll. He's written a few books about coral propogation and is a aquatic life genius, so I dont think he would mistake aiptasia with it. I know of aiptasia as well. I've actually been doing this for a few years, I had just never seen anything like this. These little hydroid suckers apparently can be a menace. I actually just ended up draining the tank and putting fresh water in. Cest la vie.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new