So why do have to use more copper today to kill Ich than you had to use 30 years ago?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting more resistant to all types of treatments.

OP
OP
old salt reefer

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it getting more resistant? How is it getting more resistant?
The ich and velvet in the ocean isn't being treated in the ocean with copper to kill it so ich and velvet coming in with a fish from the ocean isn't more resistant to copper.
Where is this resistant ich and velvet coming from?

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it getting more resistant? How is it getting more resistant?
The ich and velvet in the ocean isn't being treated in the ocean with copper to kill it so ich and velvet coming in with a fish from the ocean isn't more resistant to copper.
Where is this resistant ich and velvet coming from?

Wholesalers tanks? LFS? Whatever place uses lower level copper to suppress pathogens.

OP
OP
old salt reefer

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But lower level isn't suppressing it, it's helping the ich and velvet to get resistant. At what point does the level of copper kill the fish but not the pathogens? The fish aren't getting more tolerant of copper in the ocean. Is putting a fish in copper for a disease that it may or may not have a good thing then? Shouldn't we wait and see if it has ich or velvet and then treat for it? I mean look what's happened with people and antibiotics. Just giving antibiotics to people(as well as cows,chickens,etc) for a disease that they may or may not of had as well as the people feeling better and stopping taking the antibiotics(low level) has led to resistant bacteria that can't be treated. People are dying from resistant strains of bacteria are our fish(and hobby) facing the same fate in a few decades?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back