So... why the cloudiness?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this pico tank set up that is also kind of an experiment. Tank, heater, return pump, MarinePure Gems and nothing else.

Tank was set up 2.5 days or so ago. Added Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride, bringing ammonia to 2ppm. Added 4 caps of Microbacter7 a bit after, but with pumps on. Yesterday I turned the pump off for a bit and added a cap of Microbacter7 just so it can 'fall' directly on the gems.

Not that it should make any difference according to the test by Dr. Reef, where bottled bacteria was poured even more directly on media. But just thought I'd try it anyways.

So anyways I turned the pump on a few hours later in the arvo.

Last night I was carrying some Prime in a cap and accidentally poured some into the tank. =_= Yay, go me.

This morning I woke up and saw the tank cloudy.

It does not really faze me or anything, but being super curious, I gotta ask. What do you guys think could be causing it?

The tank was crystal clear up to this morning. Which is expected given 1. The salt was already mixed, 2. prior to dosing ammonium chloride and MB7, 3. even after dosing them it was still clear, 4. there is no sand, no organics purposefully dosed, etc.

I've attached an image with the lights turned on just so it is visually clearer what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 20210318_091106.mp4
    3.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The dust in sand after pumps resumed likely caused a bloom

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dust in sand after pumps resumed likely caused a bloom
There's no sand though, and what would the microbes be feeding on? I am thinking you are on to something, perhaps there was something that settled near/under the return pump and now it is being pumped around the tank again, potentially causing a bloom. But still can't quite think what.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There's no sand though, and what would the microbes be feeding on? I am thinking you are on to something, perhaps there was something that settled near/under the return pump and now it is being pumped around the tank again, potentially causing a bloom. But still can't quite think what.
Adding carbon or chemipure will help

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Microbacter .. it’s essentially beneficial bacteria , along with dr Tim’s ,

that’s a lot of beneficial bacteria that would require some flow or circulation ?

with pumps off that would also decrease oxygenation , surface agitation .

not 100% sure but sounds like bacterial bloom

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Microbacter .. it’s essentially beneficial bacteria , along with dr Tim’s ,

that’s a lot of beneficial bacteria that would require some flow or circulation ?

with pumps off that would also decrease oxygenation , surface agitation .

not 100% sure but sounds like bacterial bloom
At this point I do wonder if it is just a case of some or a lot of the microbes dying and that is feeding the heterotrophs that comes with Microbacter7. >_<"

Oh well, imma just wait it out. I mean that's the plan regardless.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I do wonder if it is just a case of some or a lot of the microbes dying and that is feeding the heterotrophs that comes with Microbacter7. >_<"

Oh well, imma just wait it out. I mean that's the plan regardless.
As a new tank with no livestock .
You’re not hurting anything by waiting and letti it work itself out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back