So you like do it yourself peojects huh!

  • Thread starter Thread starter tyronbes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tyronbes

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2022
Messages
20
Reaction score
44
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy do I have an awesome fun project for you! For as long as i can remember I've always been one for building, taking things apart, and the occasional fixing of things before my parents got home. After highschool I attended gunsmithing school in colorado where I learned some invaluable skills, to which I use today in my every day life. I have always preferred to build something vs spending money on things. So when it was time to set up my tanks. I couldnt afford all the equipment I needed/ wanted. So I decided to build my own, this is my protein skimmer, it has taken me 5 versions to get to where I am today. I hope you enjoy.
Screenshot_20221112-114134_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114138_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114145_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-021125_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-021130_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114212_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114308_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114232_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-114149_Photos.jpg
 
So the skimmer used a 4inch clear pvc tube that's 14" tall, a small skimmer pump off amazon, and an little acrylic with some super glue. At the time I had never actually seen a real skimmer in person, so It was a little trial and error to get it to run right. Its fully adjustable with a small air valve and the wedge valve for the water height. This skimmer will work in 6" of water, up to 11 inches of water with a bit of tuning. I do have some blueprints I made up, but will need to dig through my phone to find them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new