Soaking sand for a month and silicates

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add some sand to my established tank and don't want to get diatoms as a result. I was thinking of putting it in a bucket with a bubbler to get rids of any silicates first. Will this work?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also adding a silica absorbing media to it? Make it live by adding ammonia and bacteria to the sand should help minimise the effects of diatoms imo.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe that works. I was asking a similar question some months ago when some of my sand was depleting. I had some fairly old "live sand" I wanted to get some use out of and was concerned about upsetting my system because in the past I tried adding live sand post cycle and it did indeed cause some issues. For me I can say this likely worked because I did this several months ago and have yet to see an issue and I did this twice over the course of 2 months: After a water change keep the discarded water in a 5 gallon bucket, put the sand you're looking to use in there, put a strong enough pump in there to move the water very well, let it sit for a week or 2 weeks. I also added a small dose of prime to the water. Ive also done this with dry rock when introducing new pieces of dry rock and never had a problem. Maybe overly cautious.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not needed. we dont get any diatoms adding new sand to tanks in the sand rinse thread

rinse the high surface area flash silt out of it, then add.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*capping off waste factors too, the ideal way to add it is to add it on top of cleaned vs sinked up sand

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey for sure I like to see all kinds of builds and goodies going on, thanks tons John

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add some sand to my established tank and don't want to get diatoms as a result. I was thinking of putting it in a bucket with a bubbler to get rids of any silicates first. Will this work?

Is it silica sand or aragonite sand?

Both may release a little silica but generally not enough to cause a diatom problem.

I would be wary of using an unnatural/ground up sand, like sand blasting sand, as it may have a lot more readily dissolvable silicate.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it silica sand or aragonite sand?

Both may release a little silica but generally not enough to cause a diatom problem.

I would be wary of using an unnatural/ground up sand, like sand blasting sand, as it may have a lot more readily dissolvable silicate.
It's aragonite live sand I have had sitting around for a couple of years. Dead sand now, I guess.
Just looked at the tank and it looks like I may have dinos (have not confirmed yet) starting on the sand even though my nitrates and phosphates have been kept up since I got rid of them over the summer. Phos last week were .09 and nitrates 3. I guess I'll be getting out the microscope. But that's another issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's aragonite live sand I have had sitting around for a couple of years. Dead sand now, I guess.
Just looked at the tank and it looks like I may have dinos (have not confirmed yet) starting on the sand even though my nitrates and phosphates have been kept up since I got rid of them over the summer. Phos last week were .09 and nitrates 3. I guess I'll be getting out the microscope. But that's another issue.

I'd rinse it to avoid hydrogen sulfide, but there's no risk of diatoms from it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back