Social Distancing + can't work from home = new tank?

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bored and built a stand for a 20 gallon tank I had sitting around. I didn't really have any plans for it...but just wanted something to do. I was thinking about starting a small reef, but I already have a 60g cube that I'm fine with, and would rather have something "unique".

Any cool thoughts for a 20 gallon? I thought about maybe 1 cool unique fish, but it seems too small for a dwarf lion fish, and apparently not the right size for sea horses either. Maybe I could do a FOWLR with a frog fish or something?

Anyway, what are some suggestions you guys have?

IMG_7922.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The lights and pumps that you have and whether or not the tank is drilled may help you decide on a direction. Good luck!

OP
OP
JonoB

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights and pumps that you have and whether or not the tank is drilled may help you decide on a direction. Good luck!

Thats true, but also the direction I go might help choose the lights and pumps :p

It will not be drilled. I'm trying to avoid a ton of extra spending right now, so probably won't have any "reef" lighting, although I do have an extra MH fixture with a 150W 14kPhoenix bulb, might be a bit overkill though...

Edit: by avoid extra spending, I mean more of a "budget" build. I realize "new tank" and "not spending money" don't really go together.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats true, but also the direction I go might help choose the lights and pumps :p

It will not be drilled. I'm trying to avoid a ton of extra spending right now, so probably won't have any "reef" lighting, although I do have an extra MH fixture with a 150W 14kPhoenix bulb, might be a bit overkill though...

Do you currently have access to a canister or air pump? Without a drilled tank and reef lighting then you may consider a fish only SW system and maybe even a freshwater tank.

OP
OP
JonoB

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, I think I was originally planning on fish only SW tank. I do have an air pump, I have HOB filters, I have an extra power head, I have heaters, an extra ATO, and that MH light. If I went Fish only I could just get a cheap LED fixture though.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote peacock mantis shrimp. Requires low light, no tank mates, coral is optional. Very cool animals if you like the oddball stuff.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fill it with gear and do YouTube videos testing each piece.

PS: I'm going the extra mile and doing Antisocial Distancing, just to be extra careful.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed waspfish have been available a lot lately. That would be a nice tank for a group of them, though I’ve heard they can be a little difficult to care for.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote peacock mantis shrimp. Requires low light, no tank mates, coral is optional. Very cool animals if you like the oddball stuff.
My vote as well

Alexispr2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacock mantis shrimp, thats my vote!...and I have two of them in the same tank for over 1 1/2 year now.

In the same tank, I do have a bunch of corals, rock anemones and around 6 different fish. No fish had died because of them. I feed the mantis shrimp every three days with frozen half clam. They love them. Now, forget about maintaining a cleaning crew alive. They won't make it for too long.

My tank is a Red Sea 65G . Now, if you don't glue down your corals the mantis will take them to decorate their cave and yes, they will dig around your rock formation to make caves so every now and then you'll see all your water kind of cloudy, don't worry, thats the mantis digging.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with a planted saltwater tank. I’d stick a couple of mangroves in it and let them grow. In a couple of years, you might have some nice looking little trees.

I’m thinking of doing that with a 125 gallon tank.

Back