Socks+Skimmer+Algae Scrubber = Yes or No?

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R! I recently added a ClearWater Scrubbers CW-50 to my 75g display system. In addition to the scrubber I run filter socks which get changed 2-3x a week and a skimmer.

Ive read in a few places that running a scrubber eliminates the need for socks and in some cases skimming (not including the Ph/Co2 benefit). What is the opinion of those of you scrubbing?
I would like to keep my socks online as I enjoy having a relatively detritus free sump and I’d like to think my skimmer will still play it’s roll since the two pieces of equipment remove organics at different stages.

image.jpg

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is yes.

Some reefers are “no sock” reefers. But since I change mine frequently, I can definitely see the difference, in taking care of the larger particles.

I run a Refug, and socks on my 60g. If I could fit a skimmer I would.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all 3 on my tank too. I tried running no mechanical filters I also tried using the 100 micron media bag type socks and both left a lot of detritus in the sump. I've now settled into using pinky filter floss, skimmer, algae scrubber, and fuge.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all serve different purposes.

socks remove detritus, foods and waste before they can be broken down into nutrients.

Skimmer removes inorganic waste from water that passes through the sock and thus preventing more waste from breaking down into nutrients. Also keeps ph up as it add oxygen to the water.

Scrubber removes nutrients and a little bit of ammonia. helps outcompete DT for algae depending on lighting schedule.

I would say you can run all 3 fairly happily, You just have to "tune" the nutrient export mechanism. keep filter socks for polishing water, keep skimmer for ph and organic waste and play with the lighting on the scrubber.

If nutrients are high, run the light longer periods.
if nutrients are low, run the light for shorter periods.

Back