Soda ash along with kalk and ph is still low. Now what?

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I ended up doing after spending about $80 a month on CO2 media I installed an ERV and boy am I happy one of the best things that I have done for my reef I now sit anywhere from 8.3 to 8.5 24/7 With no more use for the CO2 media. How I got there to the ERV was I did end up buying a CO2 meter and was getting readings of an average about 1800 which is definitely unsafe and a good day would be 1400 which is still on safe do you wanna be under 1000 more like 600 to 800 once I seen this it was very easy to convince my wife that not only would my reef tank benefit but our life‘s would be healthier air to breathe
We already started the process of inquiry on the ERV, but now you got me making the phone call back to the HVAC company. I agree that it is likely a good investment for us and not just the tank. I appreciate you sharing your experience with it.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
why not use a Co2 scrubber? I have a recirculating Co2 scrubber that is working really well. media is lasting

Before:

1655504799724.png

After

1655504672579.png

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping for some advice on ph.
I am at 7.75-7.8 with peak light cycle going up to 7.85 while dosing soda ash and kalk. I’m also running a reverse lit refugium although the chaeto doesn’t grow very well. The tank previously maintained 8.05-8.15. Although that wasn’t optimal, it was acceptable. I’m now noticing some unhappy corals. I’m really not interested in a CO2 scrubber.

Other important info: all is steady at 8.5. Calcium 430 and MG is 1400. Salt is 35 ppt and steady.(Tropic Marin). Probe has recently been cleaned and recalibrated..unfortunately resulting in a lower reading. Also have a gyre at the top of the tank providing significant surface agitation.
I should also mention that living in the south my windows are almost always closed. The only open window weather aligns with peak pollen season.
Get a CO2 meter. It is one of the MOST important instruments that you can own.

Make sure that CO2 is the problem. If it is re-post asking for help for dealing with high indoor CO2.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a CO2 meter. It is one of the MOST important instruments that you can own.

Make sure that CO2 is the problem. If it is re-post asking for help for dealing with high indoor CO2.
I disagree. Ph is generally not even needed to test. Calibrate the probe and do an aeration test indoors, if PH doesn’t rise then you know CO2 is too high.

You don’t need an expensive meter to tell you that.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Ph is generally not even needed to test. Calibrate the probe and do an aeration test indoors, if PH doesn’t rise then you know CO2 is too high.

You don’t need an expensive meter to tell you that.
You are making a lot of assumptions and a test ensures that you know where you are at.

I used to think just do an aeration test, this does not give running totals and trust me the CO2 changes a lot. Knowing why it is changing by watching it tells you a ton of information. Using this information makes you are better at the hobby.

I now run my CO2 meter constantly and it sits on my desk so I can always check it. Best money every spent on my own health and my aquarium.

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are making a lot of assumptions and a test ensures that you know where you are at.

I used to think just do an aeration test, this does not give running totals and trust me the CO2 changes a lot. Knowing why it is changing by watching it tells you a ton of information. Using this information makes you are better at the hobby.

I now run my CO2 meter constantly and it sits on my desk so I can always check it. Best money every spent on my own health and my aquarium.
I’m getting my first estimate for an ERV installation on Monday. Other than the benefits to the aquarium, I like the idea of the health benefits for my family. Opportunities for opening windows for fresh area are not often where I live. Well that may be due to my pickiness, but regardless the windows aren’t open.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my first estimate for an ERV installation on Monday. Other than the benefits to the aquarium, I like the idea of the health benefits for my family. Opportunities for opening windows for fresh area are not often where I live. Well that may be due to my pickiness, but regardless the windows aren’t open.
I live in a very warm place too. :)

I feel your pain. Just make sure you get an ERV big enough. You will not regret it.

Hopefully you can get a CO2 meter before you get the ERV. For me it was eye opening how high the CO2 was getting. I tested once to see what the CO2 was getting up to without opening the windows. I went for about 24 hours. I stopped and opened the windows because the CO2 had reached 2800ppm. To think I was living in this. SMH.

Good luck with your journey. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use buffer 8.3 in my tank

That’s a fine alk supplement, but it is a poor choice for folks wanting a significant pH boost. It’s claim of getting the tank to pH 8.3 is ridiculous. That’s like saying a new Tesla had enough battery capacity to get you to New York, without knowing where you might be starting from.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Skimmer does run 24/7. I could try leaving the refugium lights on.
Do some research before making this change, Plants need a period of rest or it will stifle their growth. When I was a cop and we were learning how pot grows, growers would run a light cycle that was 23 hours and let the plant rest for one hour, this maximized the "bloom" on the plant. While Cheato does not bloom it still needs a rest period. So ultimately just do some homework here before making the changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research before making this change, Plants need a period of rest or it will stifle their growth. When I was a cop and we were learning how pot grows, growers would run a light cycle that was 23 hours and let the plant rest for one hour, this maximized the "bloom" on the plant. While Cheato does not bloom it still needs a rest period. So ultimately just do some homework here before making the changes.

FWIW, I did not find better growth in my refugium with caulerpa racemosa and chaetomorpha when switching from 24/7 to 12 on and 12 off, but it uses less electricity to light less.

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my monitor in the mail today. I’m glad I got it before the HVAC visit on Monday. It fluctuates throughout the day, but I’m leaning towards getting the ERV.

Attachments

• AE2BFA67-6B9E-43CC-A24B-163CF066F5E7.jpeg
    AE2BFA67-6B9E-43CC-A24B-163CF066F5E7.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 22

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my monitor in the mail today. I’m glad I got it before the HVAC visit on Monday. It fluctuates throughout the day, but I’m leaning towards getting the ERV.
Is this max?

FWIW 1400ppm according the "experts" is the begining of cognitive decline.

When was your house built?

Do you know if you have an air inlet on your air handler?

Sorry for all of the questions. :)

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this max?

FWIW 1400ppm according the "experts" is the begining of cognitive decline.

When was your house built?

Do you know if you have an air inlet on your air handler?

Sorry for all of the questions. :)
That was max. It seems to be hanging between 900 and 1100. House was built in 2006. Yes, I’ve been reading a bit on all of it. HVAC comes on Monday. It was something we’ve discussed with them previously.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I ended up doing after spending about $80 a month on CO2 media I installed an ERV and boy am I happy one of the best things that I have done for my reef I now sit anywhere from 8.3 to 8.5 24/7 With no more use for the CO2 media. How I got there to the ERV was I did end up buying a CO2 meter and was getting readings of an average about 1800 which is definitely unsafe and a good day would be 1400 which is still unsafe you wanna be under 1000 more like 600 to 800 once I seen this it was very easy to convince my wife that not only would my reef tank benefit but our life‘s would be healthier air to breathe
Disregard! Saw your post with this exact info shortly afterwards ;)

Thanks for this info. Do you have a recommendation for a good, affordable CO2 meter? Thanks!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a link to that meter and about how much?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back