Sodium Hydroxide Question

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I looked but couldn’t find it. I don’t recall @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioning that you CANT dose this over night. I was watching a popular YouTube podcast (is that what you call it? Feel like a grand pa now) and someone mentioned that you should not use sodium hydroxide at night as it will impact oxygen levels significantly. Anyone have thoughts or more importantly facts about this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked but couldn’t find it. I don’t recall @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioning that you CANT dose this over night. I was watching a popular YouTube podcast (is that what you call it? Feel like a grand pa now) and someone mentioned that you should not use sodium hydroxide at night as it will impact oxygen levels significantly. Anyone have thoughts or more importantly facts about this?

Don’t know what you saw, but hydroxide has no impact on O2 and night is a fine time to dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley. I’m going to try and find it in my history. It will be easy to find as I know the show and it was a guest.
Well, it doesn’t matter who it was, it’s not correct.

If you want to most stabilize pH, dose at night.

If you want to most stabilize alk, dose during the day.

Dosing 24/7 is also a good plan.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, it doesn’t matter who it was, it’s not correct.

If you want to most stabilize pH, dose at night.

If you want to most stabilize alk, dose during the day.

Dosing 24/7 is also a good plan.
I've been properly accused of not listening correctly in the past. Me not quoting and wanting to do the research is my effort in self awareness. OK screw that, I think it was on Reef Dudes.

I am currently dosing during the day and kalk at night. I will say that this tank has really stabilized since doing this. I set a couple rules in my Apex with my Trident and using my PH probe, and it's really been (knock on wood) managing itself. In fact, I got LCA dinos and was able to knock them back meaningfully 7 in days, I think a big part of that was stability, I was also able to stabilize my nutrient ratio at the same time. My coralline has exploded again, wicked bright pink. Good stuff.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been properly accused of not listening correctly in the past. Me not quoting and wanting to do the research is my effort in self awareness. OK screw that, I think it was on Reef Dudes.

I am currently dosing during the day and kalk at night. I will say that this tank has really stabilized since doing this. I set a couple rules in my Apex with my Trident and using my PH probe, and it's really been (knock on wood) managing itself. In fact, I got LCA dinos and was able to knock them back meaningfully 7 in days, I think a big part of that was stability, I was also able to stabilize my nutrient ratio at the same time. My coralline has exploded again, wicked bright pink. Good stuff.

Glad to hear it is working nicely!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back