Soft coral polyp dying

Anna P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have had this coral in my tank for about four years and it has thrived. However recently one of the branches appears to be dying and some others are not looking good. Any ideas what could be wrong and how I keep it from spreading? On one of the branches I do see some yellow spots.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a gorgonian. Its hard to say without all details about your tank, I would guess those spots were shaded. Mine is also grown out and some parts are under rocks, those parts under rocks look like the parts on yours.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually due to over intensifying the lighting or overdosing 2 part Alk and Cal. Ask yourself if you've changed anything of these 2 things. If so, then change it back, lol. I would double test your Alk and Cal again today to see where you stand. Also test for magnesium and salinity. If your Alk is high along side your Cal and magnesium then you might need to take out some tank water and replace it with RODI. First, check salinity to see if reading is at about 1.026. I like to use a 16oz Solo plastic cup to measure each set. I would do a few sets slowly then again in a few hours and again at night.

Those yellow things might be just the polyps shrunken inside, I can't tell much from here but good luck. You had those corals for a long time. It would be a bummer to see them go down hill.

OP
OP
A

Anna P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually due to over intensifying the lighting or overdosing 2 part Alk and Cal. Ask yourself if you've changed anything of these 2 things. If so, then change it back, lol. I would double test your Alk and Cal again today to see where you stand. Also test for magnesium and salinity. If your Alk is high along side your Cal and magnesium then you might need to take out some tank water and replace it with RODI. First, check salinity to see if reading is at about 1.026. I like to use a 16oz Solo plastic cup to measure each set. I would do a few sets slowly then again in a few hours and again at night.

Those yellow things might be just the polyps shrunken inside, I can't tell much from here but good luck. You had those corals for a long time. It would be a bummer to see them go down hill.
Thank you so much!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back