Soft Corals in Hawaii

Skepptix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know an online store or a physical store on Oahu where I can get some soft corals for a nanocube? Is it even possible with the laws, just getting into the hobby and testing the waters. The wife and I inherited a 16g nano and I am looking for options out here. I am not finding much information about the subject. Thank you in advance.

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’re allowed to have anything but fish. I believe anything else is illegal, they don’t want you dumping it in the ocean

OP
OP
S

Skepptix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful, i sure wish i wouldn't have taken this tank in that case. gonna look boring as hell with just fish in it. thanks for the reply.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful, i sure wish i wouldn't have taken this tank in that case. gonna look boring as hell with just fish in it. thanks for the reply.
You should be able to use local macro algae in it just fine. When I was stationed in Hawaii, I kept a 10 gallon sw tank with macro algae. Was a cool little tank.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’re in such a beautiful reef environment anyway, I’d probably just hop into the water and collect things yourself. I’m sure nobody will miss a couple hermit crabs and a bit of macro algae

OP
OP
S

Skepptix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everybody for your feedback, I actually had a guy reach out to me in a facebook group I am in. I am on my way to having a full blown Zoa colony and couldn't be any more excited!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I think all you can get there is zoas and such through trades. Not sure if it is an under the table thing or legal :)

Nothing as cool and personal as collecting your own stuff though.

OP
OP
S

Skepptix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I think all you can get there is zoas and such through trades. Not sure if it is an under the table thing or legal :)

Nothing as cool and personal as collecting your own stuff though.
i definitely plan on trying to harvest my own at some point, but just want to get this tank going already. It will motivate me to get something bigger that I can fill myself. Love this community, very awesome people :)

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i definitely plan on trying to harvest my own at some point, but just want to get this tank going already. It will motivate me to get something bigger that I can fill myself. Love this community, very awesome people :)
Please post pictures when it is setup

Boidangerbeats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everybody for your feedback, I actually had a guy reach out to me in a facebook group I am in. I am on my way to having a full blown Zoa colony and couldn't be any more excited!
Hey was looking for Zoas here too which fb group are you in?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to get stuff from zoacollector.com . I'm pretty sure he was in Hawaii. You used to be able to collect soft coral , with no substrate attached. Not sure now a days though.

I would be careful collecting anything unless you are certain its legal. A lot has changed.

dolphinman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As close to legal as you can get... Is probably let some 'gravel end up in your fin socks, snorkeling..
And, put into a container of sea water..
See what grows in a separate tank.
You cannot collect stony corals or live rock..
You can collect all the Limu (seaweed) you want in some areas, like N Kihei on Maui.
Many barnacles, crabs, and critters are in that stuff. Could start corals from that, eventually.. They use a backhoe to throw literally tons of that stuff on to shore, when the Limu clogs the local beach, there.. from afternoon trade winds.
Amazing, how That is legal and Mandated...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back