Soft tips on acros

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2009
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
1,395
Location
Portland,OR
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have an explanation of why certain acros have "soft" tip?

Soft meaning I could literally take my thumb and index finger and squish them to were the tip is gone.

This isnt new growth tips I'm seeing this one

Params
Alk 8.2
Ca 450
Mg 1300
NO3 2-4
PO4 .12

This isn't a new thing/condition I've seen this happen over a decade or longer i just never asked about it- today I am

TIA
 
I had a similar issue with my Birdsnest, Montis, and Chalices. The tips and the growth rims weren't just soft, they were physically dropping and "empty" of skeleton. When I tested my water, magnesium and calcium were low while Phosphates and alkalinity were elevated. Brought my calcium and magnesium back up and the tips filled back in and started branching again.

Your magnesium and calcium aren't low and your Phosphates and alkalinity are slightly lower than mine were at the time.
 
I have the same condition in some of my acroporas, as you, its a long time issue. Im Always paired ti low Mg
 
I should be getting ICP results soon maybe my numbers are off.

Overall things are good It was just an observation I've had over time and thought I would ask

Thanks for the replies
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new