Softie's shrinking LPS growing

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all my Softies are closing up, but all my LPS are plump and getting new heads. I am baffled by this growth. Since you can't kill leather or shrooms unless you try... What would cause them to do bad, but let LPS Acans/Candycanes thrive?

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a par reader, but if I were to guess 90 - 100.
PH - 8.2
dkh - 10
Cal - 400
Mag - 1310
Nitrate and Phosphate read at 0, but I have some algae growth so there's some in there

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank and what kind of wavemakers are you using? Low nutrients could be affecting them. Are you supplementing with any coral foods? (not everything is photosynthetic)

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a par reader, but if I were to guess 90 - 100.
PH - 8.2
dkh - 10
Cal - 400
Mag - 1310
Nitrate and Phosphate read at 0, but I have some algae growth so there's some in there
For lighting I use
What size is your tank and what kind of wavemakers are you using? Low nutrients could be affecting them. Are you supplementing with any coral foods? (not everything is photosynthetic)
100g tank with a 30g sump.
I am using 2 AI Nero 5 pumps back/front config running at 60% max variation with a Viper return.

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't have any pics right now, but I'm 100% sure it's not nipping. It has to be water, flow, lighting or god forbid pests. I just don't know why one of those would be affecting softies and not lps

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun I do think what you said earlier might be the case. It may be an issue of low nutrients. I am super careful of not over feeding. I think I have assumes since I have algae that there are nutrients in the water, but the algae may be eating it up before those corals can use it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun I do think what you said earlier might be the case. It may be an issue of low nutrients. I am super careful of not over feeding. I think I have assumes since I have algae that there are nutrients in the water, but the algae may be eating it up before those corals can use it.
My tank is mainly soft and LPS with a handful of SPS, and this is what I supplement with every week:
* Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ (daily)
* Reef Roids mixed with Nyos Coral Nectar and Absolute Aminos (2x week)
* Brightwell phyto or zooplankton (daily); I’ve got 3 bottles and I pick a random one every week
* Calanus along with the brine and mysis for the fish (daily)

My nitrates were 4ppm and phosphates were 0.05ppm when I teated the other day (probably the lowest they’ve ever been in the system, but this was also after a 10% water change).

You could try a small bottle of the Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ (or similar), and see if that makes any difference. I usually turn my return pumps (but not the wavemakers) off when feeding the corals. That way the wavemakers ensure everything is thoroughly dispersed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back