Solar Electric

geomarq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here have a PV system? If so could you provide any details?

Giving this more consideration as rates continue to rise greatly. We already have a small 2 panel solar hot water system that we love, and am now thinking about covering the entire roof with panels for electricity.

Anyone know details of the lease options currently out there? Anyone DIY a system or subcontract? Any current deals from the feds or state?

Last edited:

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been getting the sales calls regarding solar power. The basic jist is that you are not storing the electricity, the panels back feed the circuit and the solar company sells the power back to UI or who ever your electricity supplier is. By placing the panels on your roof, you lock in a reduced rate for you power. So you still have to pay for your power. The solar company has to abide by CT rules/regulations though. They are only allowed to give you a certain percentage off the current supply cost from UI(supplier). They will install/lease the panels at no money down if your credit is up to par, then you pay a monthly fee similar to a car lease. Everything is calculated based on your power usage in the last 12 months. They calculate the usage and size of your roof, what the state allows and then give you a monthly payment that is less than your current bill now, but you have to go through the hassle of organizing repairs and upkeep, installation of all new equipment, power supply lines etc.

It sounds great in theory, but I have found through personal friends that it is not all that its cracked up to be. It's a lot of hassle for not much savings. Mainly due to CT regulations..... It's not like you will be off the grid and producing/storing power with these panels. You will still be attached to the main power grid, no storing of any power - there are no battery systems attached with this set up. If you do want that option you will have to purchase and contract out that stuff on your own.

These people are in the business of making money, they are basically using your property as a solar farm and selling the power generated on your property on leased equipment back to UI, while you pay a slightly different generation charge but your usage charges, taxes etc remain the same.

OP
OP
G

geomarq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they contact you? I heard they're using Google maps (for sun/property position) and looking at your bill to determine good-fit customers. How much of a reduced bill are they providing?

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they contacted me with a cold call. I inquired years ago thinking it would be a way to get off the grid, but it is not. They do use Google maps to see you property if you have a lot of tree coverage they will say that you are not a good fit till you eliminate the shading. The discount depends on your provider and generation point as well as your usage. So its really different from place to place, but they do have to abide by CT regulations in regards to the discounted service. The regulations are put into place so regular power companies remain competitive..... It's all about money, it always is....

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you dont want to lease the panels. A decent system is around $30,000. There were a bunch of rebate programs but most ran out fast.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really love to do this, but right now it does seem to be worth the hassle unless you want the feel good feeling of generating clean energy. And even this is coming into question with the amounts of hazardous materials that are used to make the panels.

hans1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro's use www.geostellar.com to determine solar capability. You can buy batteries and live off the grid although they are expensive. Solar City is working on a reasonably priced battery system, but I doubt it will be available for 5 years.

At today's prices, if you were to buy a 10KW system, it will cost you ~ $16,000 after all the rebates and tax incentives and will take you 6 to 8 years to break even (unless they change the law). Then after that, you are saving $200 plus a month.

One thing that is being tossed around is changing the distribution of solar. Right now, all the extra electricity you generate is put out on the grid and your neighbors use the excess electricity (and pay to have it disributed to them) and you get a credit - 1 KW for every KW you put out to the grid. Then at night you use up those credits - power plants generate the electricity and it is deleivered yo your house for free (up to the number of credits you have). The change that may come about is that you will need to pay to have the electricity delivered to your house.

I will be looking to put a system on my house once I find out how much electricity I will be using a year.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back