SOLARIS - LED Lighting

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody using this looking to ugrade to led lighting just want to know if it works well and if you have pics please :dribble:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jerl77 said:
mh for life lol

What happened to this? ;)

Just busting you chops a little... I to think LED is the way of the future, (duh) but I can't swing the cash for a fixture, even for my 48" tank.... If I had a 24" tank, then an Aqua Illumination system would be worth giving a look. What size is you tank?

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Par Meter I am dying to use

on a solaris anybody in my area that has one and is willing to let me Par them please speak up... so far I have to say the led I have tried I have been very disappointed in the results. led is nice but not ready for prime time like Mike said.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my local reefers has the 48" light on his 150 tall. He says his rbta's have climbed as high as possible and none of his sps are doing good. He has never tried to keep sps before so doesn't know if it is the light or not but noticed it as an observation. all his other water parameters are good.

I did just hear of a story of some coral farm in florida that used to have the LED lights on every prop tank( way way way too much money than he knew what to do with!) and decided to switch to mh's.

and...last tank I know with the light on it...265 that's only been setup for maybe 3-4 months, but so far everything in her tank is doing good. only observation she found...and I can't remember the exact colors, but its something like...greens and pinks show up really good but blues and greens are fading...something like that.

Hope all of this helps?!?!?! LOL I've got mh's and always will! Although I do wanna get those little 4 bulb LED things for actinics!

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to chime in here, this summer i bought a solaris fixture for my 85 gallon. within 3 months i sold it. the penetration wasnt very good. the growth in the tank was non existent, and it wasnt very bright. The beams were too concentrated, if you wanted anything to get significant light it had to be high up and right under one of the LEDs. Nice programming, other than that, not for me.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, none of the commercial LED systems are up to snuff when compared with MH or T5 alternatives. I've not seen the latest Solaris I5, which is claimed to be a substantial improvement, but every other fixture falls way short of MH or T5. I'd venture to guess that the I5 is still a couple generations away from being a replacement alternative. The consumer fixtures' performance is just so far behind many of the DIY ones that some folks are doing in their garages.

Much of the problem for manufacturers is securing LEDs of a high bin in a reasonable time and cost. The higher bin on the LEDs, the more expensive and difficult they are to obtain. If I were to try to buy the LEDs themselves, it would take up to a couple months to get them without a huge markup. For this reason, a lot of manufacturers have been using SSC or the worse Luxeon K2s.

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just hear of a story of some coral farm in florida that used to have the LED lights on every prop tank( way way way too much money than he knew what to do with!) and decided to switch to mh's.

Not sure if it's the same place, but a LFS here in the Tampa area started with the Solaris. The are putting up Halides now. IMHO the corals look to be doing much better under the halides.

From what I know, they were having problems with the fixtures and the manufacturer was giving them the runaround.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs had their entire store setup with the solaris. lots of them! and they continually had problems with them and just werent up to par. color was decent but i think growth seems to suffer, from what ive heard from others. the solaris just have too many problems in regard to the entire fixtures, fans in them...and bulbs also. i personally wouldnt waste the money.

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks like i said mh for life ha ha going to stick to the mh looked in to he led thats i lot of cash for something i do know if it going to work.thanks for your help everbody :nerd:

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all going to save the money and stick with what i know thanks again jeremy

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back