Sold to me as a frogspawn

  • Thread starter Thread starter AustinB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AustinB

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
88
Reaction score
110
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m adding to my euphyllia collection, and I bought this guy as a frogspawn, but I’ve seen similar frags called octospawn. I’m not too familiar so I’d appreciate some input, thanks guys!
20251222_215114_D77E5A65-41F3-495B-8595-B7691A794446.png
 
Thats an octospawn... frog spawns look like frog feet, like that coral you have on top.
That yellow one on top is a frog spawn.
 
Thats an octospawn... frog spawns look like frog feet, like that coral you have on top.
That yellow one on top is a frog spawn.
The one on top is a WWC neon green hammer I bought directly from them in a WYSIWYG eBay auction 7 years ago. He just gets a little funny lookin when he splits.
 
Thats an octospawn... frog spawns look like frog feet, like that coral you have on top.
That yellow one on top is a frog spawn.
no it's just a regular frogspawn. Frogspawns have their secondary acrospheres on a single plane perpendicular to the tentacle stalk, while octospawns have their secondary acrospheres all around the tentacle stalk. Octospawns also have their secondary acrospheres pulled closely to the tentacle stalk while frogspawns have theirs on branches like this coral.

Compare:
Fimbriaphyllia yaeyamaensis | Lombok, Indonesia | Credit: Febrianne Sukiato
1766626345005.jpeg

Fimbriaphyllia divisa | Bisayas, Philippines | Credit: Kok Lynn Chew
1766626748343.jpeg
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new