Sold to me as a silver spot tang but I am not sure.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still think truncatus is more likely and unless your lfs imports in massive amounts your unlikely to find a proper yellow eyed kole for anything near £30 where as its about pa for an indonesian silver spot tang.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still think truncatus is more likely and unless your lfs imports in massive amounts your unlikely to find a proper yellow eyed kole for anything near £30 where as its about pa for an indonesian silver spot tang.
My LFS buys from the largest marine fish importer in Europe here in the UK. Many fish come from Indonesia and indeed all over the world.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not a kole.
Looks like a tang I used to have - Lavender tang, or indian gold ring bristletooth tang.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it look like this guy? Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus the blue lipped tang. I love this fish. I have had mine for 4 years now.

_EMA6819.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a long look and took a couple more pic's of the tang but not the best. I can't see any markings on its body whatsoever.
tang1.jpg
tang2.jpg

does it look like this guy? Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus the blue lipped tang. I love this fish. I have had mine for 4 years now.

_EMA6819.jpg

_EMA6819.jpg
Not really apart from the body shape

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Id was based on my thought it had a yellow ring around its eye. If that vid grab is accurate colouration then I'd been more inclined to say ctenochaetus striatus, as they mature they darken. If you google it there are a few similarly coloured fish pictured and I would hazard a guess that yours has the same pattern if you take a picture of it with a flash, like the ones on Google are.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Id was based on my thought it had a yellow ring around its eye. If that vid grab is accurate colouration then I'd been more inclined to say ctenochaetus striatus, as they mature they darken. If you google it there are a few similarly coloured fish pictured and I would hazard a guess that yours has the same pattern if you take a picture of it with a flash, like the ones on Google are.

The fish is only around 3" so far from mature yet I would have thought, however, it does have the characteristic yellow/gold ring round its eye so there is a good chance you are right. Maybe as it does mature a 100% accurate ID can be arrived at. I am short sighted so not the best of eyesight and friend who has perfect vision is coming over this afternoon and will take a good look to see what if any colour makings are on the body.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is only around 3" so far from mature yet I would have thought, however, it does have the characteristic yellow/gold ring round its eye so there is a good chance you are right. Maybe as it does mature a 100% accurate ID can be arrived at. I am short sighted so not the best of eyesight and friend who has perfect vision is coming over this afternoon and will take a good look to see what if any colour makings are on the body.

If it has the eye ring then it isn't the blue lipped. It is really hard to tell much from the photos.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend came over this evening and we both took a few long hard looks at my tang. Firstly it can only be described as either a very black or dark brown indeed. The dorsal and anal fins do have a touch of blue tot heir edges when the light catches in a certain way. However, there are no signs of ANY MARKINGS AT ALL not on the body or on the fins, nor any small spots and not a faint line or lines to be seen. Things may change as it gets older who knows but for now the above is an accurate description of how it looks at the moment.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back