Sold to me as a silver spot tang but I am not sure.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold to me a few weeks back as the silver spot tang but I can't see any spots on it and it looks more like a yellow eye Kole tang but almost completely black with no markings on it. The tang is about 3" nose to tip of the tail. maybe it's in its juvenile colours and will change in time, I don't know. Care to take a stab at it?
Sorry for the poor video it was shot on my phone and of course, the tang would not stay still for a sitting.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_referrer=watch&video_id=LhXsY0daARY

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the video...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry old man, the link is not working:)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking Kole Tang too.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see it now, but I'm not sure about the id. If I had to guess, I would guess not a kole...

Cool fish either way!

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell anything from the video other than it looks to have settled in well and is healthy. Based on your description I'd suggest it likely is a silver spot tang or Ctenochaetus truncatus, as I've seen very dark (near black) specimens several times beforethat didn't really have any pattern or colour apart from the eye and a little on the pectorals.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell anything from the video other than it looks to have settled in well and is healthy. Based on your description I'd suggest it likely is a silver spot tang or Ctenochaetus truncatus, as I've seen very dark (near black) specimens several times beforethat didn't really have any pattern or colour apart from the eye and a little on the pectorals.

Thanks, Yeah tangs hardly stay still enough to video or photograph them. I could try burst mode to photograph it. I will see over the coming months if there is any change in the colour or pattern of it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with mort from what I could see of him/his tail.

He's almost as spastic as my purple tang was!:D

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with mort from what I could see of him/his tail.

He's almost as spastic as my purple tang was!:D
Right, so in that case I could try and pass it off as a stupidly expensive ultra rare black tang then ;)

Andeyking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Eye Kole Tang. We get them a lot over here in the UK. We get them regularly in our shop.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Eye Kole Tang. We get them a lot over here in the UK. We get them regularly in our shop.
Well I am in the UK and it was sold as a silver spot but a Yellow Eye Kole Tang seems much more likely. Most of the YEKTs I have seen are lighter in colour with lots of fine longitudinal lines running through it. But I think you are right.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my YEKT is more of a deep dark purple, with the obvious eye ring and sort of a cross hatch type pattern on it. pectoral fins are yellow mid fin to the edges. Tail has some yellow at the edges as well.

I'd hardly call it black, at least under lighting.

Andeyking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, it's hard to tell from the video, another potential ID is Ctenochaetus Truncatus, they tend to keep their spots from juvenile to adult which is whats throwing me off. Give me till Thursday as I'm on holiday, we've got a few of these in the shop and I'll double check the Latin name on the packsheet.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, it's hard to tell from the video, another potential ID is Ctenochaetus Truncatus, they tend to keep their spots from juvenile to adult which is whats throwing me off. Give me till Thursday as I'm on holiday, we've got a few of these in the shop and I'll double check the Latin name on the packsheet.
Thanks i have looked closely, well as close as it will let me as it dosent stay still for long and I can't see any markings on it at all. I will look again when my lights are on later to see if I can get a better look at it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back