Solenoid Help

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a water change station with a float value on the RODI tank. When the float value is triggered, power stops to my solenoid which should stop the water flowing to my RODI system. But water keeps flowing. Tested solenoid and opens and closes when power applied and power disconnected. Seems like to much back pressure on solenoid which prevents it from closing.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

F05FDB6D-1BBC-40FB-8885-4EE61FD92158.jpeg 60735975-9DE4-473C-8306-0892E7EE7982.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like to much back pressure on solenoid which prevents it from closing.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Do you have a booster pump before your solenoid?

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're using a float valve to signal a full RO tank, I would think your auto-shutoff valve would stop flow. Or do you not have one? How is your float valve delivering power to the solenoid? That solenoid looks fairly robust. I doubt your problem stems from too much pressure.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float value triggers relay which shuts power off to solenoid (know this part works). Float value rises, relay turns power off to solenoid, solenoid does not close. Water still runs.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little confused about exactly how this is set up. You keep saying float value, but I think you mean float valve. However, a float valve is a mechanical device that shuts off the water flow if the water gets too high. It can’t send any single to a solenoid. Perhaps you mean a float switch?

Are you sure the solenoid is triggering? You should be able to feel it clunk or maybe even hear it buzz when it’s engaged. Is it clunking or buzzing when it’s supposed to be on?

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - your solenoid is NC (normally closed if no power). Questions:

1. Do you use an auto-shutoff valve?
2. Is your float valve a VALVE or a switch or both?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float valve is connected to a switch which cuts power to the solenoid. The solenoid closes when no power.

Question - Does solenoid go before or after RODI unit?
Solenoid does NOT work before RODI. Solenoid DOES work after RODI unit. But after RODI means I need 2 solenoids - one for waste water, one for RODI water.

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solenoid should go after the ro outlet and before the float valve. BTW - when I write float valve, I'm talking about a device which physically stops water from flowing. A float switch is a device that causes electrical contacts to open or close.

If you're not using an auto-shutoff valve, I would recommend that you purchase one. The auto-shutoff valve, a float valve, and a 1/4" check valve will allow your RO system to fill your container. When the container is full, the float valve will shut. That puts pressure on the auto-shutoff valve - that stops your system from allowing water to flow through it.

1 - Float Valve ($10 to $12)
2 - Auto-Shutoff Valve ($7 to $8)
3 - 1/4" Check Valve ($3 to $6)

Check to see if you already have an auto-shutoff valve installed. If you do, then you may already have a check valve.

What you are trying to do with your solenoid is necessary because you want to automate the act of starting the container filling when it is low on water. But before you get there, you should have the auto-shutoff valve and float valve (above). They will function as a necessary back up to your Top-Off solenoid.

If this ro system stuff is new to you, just google "ro auto shut off valve diagram". You'll see lots of pics that might help you. On the solenoid front; trying to automate a top-off function with only one float switch is not practical because water surface movement will cause your float switch to burn out due multiple "switches" per second. You'll need two float switches - one for high water and one for low. If you already have an auto-topoff for your sump, that's what we are talking about.

My RO container is a 55gal drum. It has a float valve for backup and two float switches. One switch is at the top of the drum (where I want the max level to be) and the other is about 6" from the bottom of the drum - it start the fill phase.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back