Solenoids for rodi system automation

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a total newbie when it comes to automation on the reef tank besides dosing pumps and the like. On my new tank in wanting to go hands off as possible and that means no more buckets and I want to auto fill my ato container but the problem I'm having is that for my apex to run their proprietary solenoids all the way to my rodi system it would be over their 20 foot limit for the 1link cable so im thinking about taking up an outlet on my eb8 using a 110v ac solenoid like this one.
Solenoid
Just with a spliced in wall plug.

I am no electrician but I'm curious if this would work as it SOUNDS like it would.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it will work. Be sure to set your booster pump to come on and off as well, if you have one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like a winner
Industry standard is usually a float

Al Blue4.6l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a total newbie when it comes to automation on the reef tank besides dosing pumps and the like. On my new tank in wanting to go hands off as possible and that means no more buckets and I want to auto fill my ato container but the problem I'm having is that for my apex to run their proprietary solenoids all the way to my rodi system it would be over their 20 foot limit for the 1link cable so im thinking about taking up an outlet on my eb8 using a 110v ac solenoid like this one.
Solenoid
Just with a spliced in wall plug.

I am no electrician but I'm curious if this would work as it SOUNDS like it would.
Thanks for this. I was looking at doing the same thing and came across this thread. Just ordered the same solenoid.

OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually wound up buying a 120v solenoid with the same design on Amazon for the record and it works just the same. As long as it's 110v you can run an extention cord and hook it up positive negative and cover the contacts with some good insulation since you're dealing with 110v and it works like a charm.

At some point in planning on getting an EB4 bar to connect solenoids to the same way to send water to my mixing bin and to have an auto flush setup that will bypass my flow restrictor

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back