Some Caribbean Corals in the wild(Barbados).

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could consider this a showoff post. Just decided to share some vids considering that it appears that most reefers are understandably, unfamiliar with Caribbean hard corals, especially the "sps". Might share more if yall like.

Acropora Prolifera.JPG brain corals.JPG porites divaricata.JPG 20190101_122852.JPG

OP
OP
DaDom

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto depth location would amazing. Share away!
Not sure what Ditto means. The first pic is Acropora Prolifera(the hybrid) in shallow, sandy, turbulent water on a reef flat by "Paynes Bay" you could stand up easily in if you desired(https://goo.gl/maps/P9VMQpzYjXFJ6W3WA). Honestly it looked more like it was surviving that thriving although it apparently fragmented itself succesfully in that area. Second, the Brain Corals are on relatively recent manmade breakwaters right by the shore. Cant remember the depth but I think its wading depth or slighlty greater depending on the tide( https://goo.gl/maps/rt8SLV6zXo98Whtw7 ). Ironically, that is just next to a major outflow of stormwater, so all of those corals on that breakwater are exposed to some pretty turbid and nutrient rich water quality periodically within the rainy season(it looks crystal clear after enough time has passed though). Third pic, a coral that seems to like growing specifically in seagrass habitat(have seen it nowhere else), at Bath(https://goo.gl/maps/v2PPML845taCznjC8), a wide reef flat on the east(windward coast). The water is really shallow out there, at the lowest tides, you cant swim in some sections cause its too shallow. Being on the windward coast however, the wave action is constantly really high, and aside from low tides, a bit extreme. Third pic, with the healthy and large sized elkhorn coral. The reef was such that it accumulated wave energy in this otherwise calm area, to form significant current that would physically push you inshore depending on depth and weather. So periodically the fragments would break off, and attach to the reef surface(mainly made of coralline or very well grazed turf, but in the shallowest parts, flashy algae). You could find fragments surviving almost up to the waters surface, but they only started to look large and healthy in water that was deeper than 1-2 meters, and it looked healthier the deeper I went although I dont know the exact depth. All of it was growing in water defintely less than 10 meters, and thats generally where Ive seen that acropora.

OP
OP
DaDom

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Might post some more if they are not redundant later, but for now, heres a collection of photos I found of a particularly healthy reef(for my country's degraded standards), of much higher quality than mine, and with more detailed info.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what Ditto means. The first pic is Acropora Prolifera(the hybrid) in shallow, sandy, turbulent water on a reef flat by "Paynes Bay" you could stand up easily in if you desired(https://goo.gl/maps/P9VMQpzYjXFJ6W3WA). Honestly it looked more like it was surviving that thriving although it apparently fragmented itself succesfully in that area. Second, the Brain Corals are on relatively recent manmade breakwaters right by the shore. Cant remember the depth but I think its wading depth or slighlty greater depending on the tide( https://goo.gl/maps/rt8SLV6zXo98Whtw7 ). Ironically, that is just next to a major outflow of stormwater, so all of those corals on that breakwater are exposed to some pretty turbid and nutrient rich water quality periodically within the rainy season(it looks crystal clear after enough time has passed though). Third pic, a coral that seems to like growing specifically in seagrass habitat(have seen it nowhere else), at Bath(https://goo.gl/maps/v2PPML845taCznjC8), a wide reef flat on the east(windward coast). The water is really shallow out there, at the lowest tides, you cant swim in some sections cause its too shallow. Being on the windward coast however, the wave action is constantly really high, and aside from low tides, a bit extreme. Third pic, with the healthy and large sized elkhorn coral. The reef was such that it accumulated wave energy in this otherwise calm area, to form significant current that would physically push you inshore depending on depth and weather. So periodically the fragments would break off, and attach to the reef surface(mainly made of coralline or very well grazed turf, but in the shallowest parts, flashy algae). You could find fragments surviving almost up to the waters surface, but they only started to look large and healthy in water that was deeper than 1-2 meters, and it looked healthier the deeper I went although I dont know the exact depth. All of it was growing in water defintely less than 10 meters, and thats generally where Ive seen that acropora.
The first pic is not acropora prolifera. It’s a hybrid between acropora palmeta and acropora cervicornis. It’s not it’s own species.

OP
OP
DaDom

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic is not acropora prolifera. It’s a hybrid between acropora palmeta and acropora cervicornis. It’s not it’s own species.
I'm aware that it is a hybrid. The name acropora prolifera is the name of said hybrid. You can google that if you wish.

OP
OP
DaDom

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me. Meant to share at least one other vid. Acropora prolifera, fire "coral", and palythoa in water just at or below the peak low tide level.

Mycetophyllia_Master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could consider this a showoff post. Just decided to share some vids considering that it appears that most reefers are understandably, unfamiliar with Caribbean hard corals, especially the "sps". Might share more if yall like.

Acropora Prolifera.JPG brain corals.JPG porites divaricata.JPG 20190101_122852.JPG I believe the second picture shows

Acropora Prolifera.JPG brain corals.JPG porites divaricata.JPG 20190101_122852.JPG
I believe the second picture shows Pseudodiploria clivosa (right(pretty positive) and Pseudodiploria strigosa (left)(less positive

Back