Some help before I make an impulse buy.

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a thrasher, the first guy was told by the manager it's a thrasher. Then when I called back told it was a spearer. I'm confused and now may not be impulse buying it lol.
Yeah. Mantis shrimp are cool I wouldn't discourage you from getting one but find the one that you want. I wouldn't want a spearer personally.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want one that's gonna out grow my 10 gallon. My only LFS that gets them says the green ones stay about 4" but I have no clue what those look like. Gonna look some up today.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is actually looking to see if they can order 1 of 3 different types for me. Ones a green mantis shrimp, the other is a Smith's mantis shrimp, the other is a Gonodactylus chiragra.

Thank you! It was the only name I could think of at the time haha.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was preferring the Smith's then the green I just cant find any good photos of them. All that pops up are just peacocks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Arent they beautiful???
DON'T DO IT . . . . unless you are creating a tank just for mantis. You will never have a live clean up crew, and sooner or later it will devour tankmates and break shell and even coral. I had one and nothing but regrets.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent they beautiful???
DON'T DO IT . . . . unless you are creating a tank just for mantis. You will never have a live clean up crew, and sooner or later it will devour tankmates and break shell and even coral. I had one and nothing but regrets.
If I can obtain the smaller species itll be in it's own little tank by its self. I promise I will not be adding one to my beautiful mixed reef lol

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impulse buy - no! Back away and avoid eye contact. But this my dear is no impulse buy. You’re researching. So get a positive ID, determine if you can care for it, and, if you can, go for it!!! Don’t forget to post a build thread and link it here so I can live vicariously you ;)

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impulse buy - no! Back away and avoid eye contact. But this my dear is no impulse buy. You’re researching. So get a positive ID, determine if you can care for it, and, if you can, go for it!!! Don’t forget to post a build thread and link it here so I can live vicariously you ;)
Me too! I'd like to follow along!

Mariette in the meantime feel free to browse mine. (I hope this is not in bad form to post. No offense to the OP.)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=424228&share_fid=1020&share_type=t

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! I'd like to follow along!

Mariette in the meantime feel free to browse mine. (I hope this is not in bad form to post. No offense to the OP.)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=424228&share_fid=1020&share_type=t
Heck no it's no bad form given me more insight to. Ima go check it out as well.
As far as build thread itll be in a 10 gallon nuvo, low tech setup. Whatever cheap light I can get for it and maybe a ATO depends how much water evaporates but prolly will end up buying one. Last time I set it up it took a week for me to hate manually filling it. The problem I'm facing is if my LFS can find them or not. I have two looking. I'd rather them take the risk then me ordering it to my house.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg what’s wrong with having one in a tank on its own? And they can be kept with tank mates! My own smithii is in my biocube with a pseudochromis and multiple snails and hermits! One unidentifiable smasher is in a 10 gallon with snails and hermits and a crab. My wennerae has his own tank for now but I’m going to try adding some hermits to clean up after him. Small spearers can be kept with most inverts. I’m probably going to get another ciliata and experiment with keeping one of my other two, if they have issues, I’m going to divide a bigger tank in half for them

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg what’s wrong with having one in a tank on its own? And they can be kept with tank mates! My own smithii is in my biocube with a pseudochromis and multiple snails and hermits! One unidentifiable smasher is in a 10 gallon with snails and hermits and a crab. My wennerae has his own tank for now but I’m going to try adding some hermits to clean up after him. Small spearers can be kept with most inverts. I’m probably going to get another ciliata and experiment with keeping one of my other two, if they have issues, I’m going to divide a bigger tank in half for them
Peacock doesn't care about the 2 damsels in his tank but rounded up and executed every snail and crab that was in there in under a week. There were quite a few as it took me 6 months to find him after the previous one died.

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, some of the smaller smashers don’t seem to want to bother with bigger inverts and if you keep them well fed, they might ignore the small ones lol
Seems right. I've not kept them but it does seem the smasher type don't really care about fish much. Maybe if they get super hungry. I doubt the smaller ones would ever even try at a fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back