Some help with identification

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any one identify what this is behind my yellow tangs eye? How do I fix it?
B7ACCB75-3360-4020-986D-775B3D908D76.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like damage of some sort - an abrasion, etc - or even a bite from another fish. How big is the tang, and your other fish?, etc. How long have you had him - QT?

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish for years. I’ve had all my fish for quite a while. I did add a long nose hawk last week. Tang is about 3-4 inches nose to tail.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had the fish for years. I’ve had all my fish for quite a while. I did add a long nose hawk last week. Tang is about 3-4 inches nose to tail.
Would not doubt is hawk has antagonized this fish. While it looks like healing post-injury, keep an eye on it and assure its healing properly and not developing into anything bacterial or erosion type

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not doubt is hawk has antagonized this fish. While it looks like healing post-injury, keep an eye on it and assure its healing properly and not developing into anything bacterial or erosion type
The hawk fish is tiny compared to the tang, do you think it would go after something at least 3 times its size? I guess I didn’t think it through when I bought the hawk fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76DE959A-984C-491C-A006-0C9CA050E7E5.jpeg

Maybe a better picture?

That's a better picture - the reason I asked if it was on one side or both is to try and rule out head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). Trouble is, yellow tangs show this differently, and in rare cases, it can develop on just one side. Still, I've only seen one case myself of HLLE on one side of a fish, so I would lean towards this being an abrasion injury.
Treatment would only be needed if it is growing larger. The trouble is, treatment would require moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics.

Jay

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hawk fish is tiny compared to the tang, do you think it would go after something at least 3 times its size? I guess I didn’t think it through when I bought the hawk fish.
It could - likely - it wouldn't. Unless there was a territory issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a better picture - the reason I asked if it was on one side or both is to try and rule out head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). Trouble is, yellow tangs show this differently, and in rare cases, it can develop on just one side. Still, I've only seen one case myself of HLLE on one side of a fish, so I would lean towards this being an abrasion injury.
Treatment would only be needed if it is growing larger. The trouble is, treatment would require moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics.

Jay

Jay
Jay. I would watch - and assuming it's a fight let it solve itself - watching carefully for any redness, etc. Comments?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back