Some LPS Struggles

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much evap loss do you get each day? You could probably add a 32 oz cup of 1.026 each day and leave the ato alone.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When increasing salinity, always go real slow, no more than 0.002 per day, 0.001 better, we always want any change being done real slow.

No problem at all to add 1.026 water to keep levels in check.
Just so I'm clear, I'm filling my entire ato reservoir with 1.026 saltwater and no water, right?

How much evap loss do you get each day? You could probably add a 32 oz cup of 1.026 each day and leave the ato alone.
I don't think I evaporate 32oz of water in a full day. I'm not sure on the exact amount I lose to evaporation. I probably evaporate about 2-3 gallons a week I'd estimate based on how often I refill my ato.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want but for me No, never, I would not use my ATO to make any correction. I just leave the RODI in it but unplug it, and when you do, water level will drop, or you can help it by taking some water out and replace with 1.026 or higher.

You’ll make the increase manually and once their, bring the level up to the ATO sensor and plug it back in. Don’t forget!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Then fill the ato with fresh 1.026 salt water. Put a yellow sticky note on your tank to remind you to change it back to ro.

Edit: I like uncles idea better. Less chance of disaster

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I'll do it manually to avoid a mistake. The last thing I want to do is skyrocket salinity because I forget about it.

So, just to be clear, I'll need to wait for water to evaporate, then add 1.026 water a bit at a time until I test the tank water at 1.026? Maybe over the course of a day or two?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Turn off the ATO. Put a piece of tape at current water level on the front of the tank. Fill to the line once or twice a day with 1.026 water as needed.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Turn off the ATO. Put a piece of tape at current water level on the front of the tank. Fill to the line once or twice a day with 1.026 water as needed.

Got it. Thanks. My only concern with this method is that I'm going to raise my other parameters by doing this. If I mix my saltwater at 1.026 the water I'm going to be adding will be at 11 dKh. That's what the salt I use mixes at. Should I be worried about increasing my alk even further with this method? Or is it worth the swing to get the salinity in check?

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been topping off with saltwater manually since yesterday. My salinity is close to 1.025 now. dKh had gone from 9.5 to 9.6, so no big swing there. Fish are behaving normally, but the coral is looking worse.

My torch and frogspawn that looked good yesterday are looking wilted today. The trachy's mouth is even more open than it was before. Maybe it's just me being overly concerned. I knew it wasn't going to fix everything overnight, but I can't help being anxious that everything is going to die. Is this just something that's going to get worse before it gets better?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are just about at your target. Keep things stable including your alkalinity. I have a wellso that went from this
20201109_115216.jpg

to this from nutrient starvation where it was more transparent and contracted than in this pic to where I almost threw it out for dead

20210113_205159.jpg

It has made a slow but steady comeback over many months.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been topping off with saltwater manually since yesterday. My salinity is close to 1.025 now. dKh had gone from 9.5 to 9.6, so no big swing there. Fish are behaving normally, but the coral is looking worse.

My torch and frogspawn that looked good yesterday are looking wilted today. The trachy's mouth is even more open than it was before. Maybe it's just me being overly concerned. I knew it wasn't going to fix everything overnight, but I can't help being anxious that everything is going to die. Is this just something that's going to get worse before it gets better?
Increasing 0.001 would cause nothing to die.
With the amount your adding, it would not affect the parameters in any way a hobby grade test would show accurately, just close.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past two days I increased my salinity to 1.026 via topping off with saltwater manually and a 20% water change. As I suspected, I got a big rise in alk calc, and magnesium. I guess that was unavoidable because of my salt mix. I think I just need to leave things alone at this point. I'm not sure the increase in salinity was even worth it because of the added stress in the swing in all the other parameters. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm just a little frustrated at the moment because I feel like despite my best efforts I'm just making this problem worse. Some of the corals look noticably worse than before, especially the torch and frogspawn. Those two had no issues before and now they're looking quite rough.

Levels before salinity increase:
Screenshot_20210512-121600.png

Levels after salinity increase:

Screenshot_20210512-121515.png

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things will settle. Ca and Mg look fine to me. Maybe you want to get a salt that matches the parameters you want to keep. Maybe look at HW Marinmix Reefer with an alk of 9.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to switch salts like that? I'd considered it before, but at this point I really don't want to change anything else. I really wish I'd had the checkers when I first mixed up my salt so I would have at least started with the correct mix. To my understanding as long as the parameters are stable within the acceptable ranges things should be ok. Maybe I just don't know enough about it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, changing salts is not a problem.
I buy a salt that is very easy for me to get, in stock always, and at a reasonable price, then mix it up, check its output parameters and these numbers become the target.

Im running a mixed reef with elevated parameters so I used Red Sea Pro for years until the price in Canada got to $100 bucks a bucket.

Switched to Fritz Redline 3 years ago which mixed up exactly the same as the Red Sea Pro, but at $60 bucks a case.

Since both mixed up to the same, the change was transparent.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'll have to think about a salt change. I have a huge bucket of my current salt. I think I'll be ok if I'm able to keep things stable. It should be easier now that my alk is closer to where the salt mixes at. The only other thing I was considering doing was adding a little microbacter7 as my water is pretty cloudy and I'm wondering if that could be part of my issue. I think I'd be safe doing that as I don't think it would really disrupt anything, but feel free to tell me if I'm wrong there.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wrong.
Always work towards the highest stability you can do in each and every parameter.
I even went as so far to have a fan, blow across the surface, while lights are out to stabilize both PH and Temp.

I use Microbacter 7 to aid diversity of bacteria.
I use Vibrant to keep my DT clean.
These two, plus keeping Nitrate and Phosphate both in the range gave me white sand and 3 days between glass cleaning.

Im a believer in a strong population of diversity.
I never been able to get their in less than 9 months.
It seems, at least for me, that around 8 months, everything seems to just come together and it’s quite noticeable.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I haven't checked pH in quite awhile. I should check that today too. I was weary of doing too much for the tank since it's new, but I think the microbacter7 is a relatively low opportunity cost. Ordered a bottle and I'll start dosing that tomorrow. Hopefully that clears up the water a little and helps the corals in some way.

Again, I very much appreciate all the help from everyone. I hope things start looking up in the next few weeks! I'll update if anything changes.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on your salinity and dKH if you start dosing magnesium as sometimes adjusting one will move another. I'd agree with the others here and say it's likely salinity and magnesium.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, more than likely. The magnesium wasn't as low as I originally listed it. I think it was around 1240ppm or so. I made a testing error. It's at 1330 now so I'm going to leave it be.

Everything is still looking pretty sad today. Hoping for better days soon.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my torch bailing out polyps today. Torch, frogspawn and trachy continue to get worse. I'm afraid they're all done for at this point. I'm not experienced enough to really know, but they're looking bad. No signs on improvement yet... Probably looking at close to $500 in losses of all those die. That's a pretty hard pill to swallow... I guess it's my fault for loading up the tank too soon. Everything seemed to be going well until it all fell apart.

Back