Some sad news...

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first joined the MTRC around the beginning of 2005 and used to be an active member. My first 20 gal. reef was setup and going by March 2005. That's when I added my first clown fish. She was purchased from Aquatic Critter in Dec. 2004 by my brother. Once my tank was cycled, I added her. Around April or May 2006, I bought her a mate from sustainable aquatics.

Yesterday, my girl passed away. She just started slowing down last week and I felt something was wrong.

I dont know the average life span for clowns but I had her for over 13 years. I guess she was a few months old when my brother bought her? Her mate is now alone and he's been with her for 12 years. He doesn't seem to be acting any different and is eating normal.

Should I get my 12 year old fish another mate or just see how he does by himself?

Here's a video from a few years ago. I'll have to get on photo bucket to find some old pictures. The one that died is the larger one.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry. I can't imagine. :(

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this man, large clowns are some of my favorite fish. They were a beautiful couple. As for adding another clown, it’s entirely up to you. Either he’ll live alone just fine or you can pick up a smaller one for him to beat on before he turns female. Congrats on you for getting such a long life out of both of those two.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your clown fish. Like it was mentioned before if you want to you can get a smaller one and he would change to a female.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sincere condolences.
You can't replace what you had, and adding a new fish is risky health wise and it might just tick him off to have someone new to fight with. Give him and yourself some time to grieve before taking in something new.

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a truly sad yet amazing post. 13 Years for a Clownfish is the longest I have heard of and you are doing something right to keep her that long. I would get another smaller buddy for your male and let him change. I can really relate because we just lost our 16 year old rescue dog, Angel, he was part of the family! Prayers for yours!

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone. My clown seems to be doing fine. He's hanging out in their cave a lot but does come out some and eating is fine. Still undecided if I'm going to add another or just see how he does alone.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been 3 weeks and I decided to add another small clownfish. My original clown showed no signs of aggression and they have been inseparable since I added the new one.
20180910_110310-1.jpg

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look happy together. My female finally stop attacking the Male. It was starting to be a problem as I was about to yank one out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back