Someone took a bite out of my starfish!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys as the title says someone took a chomp out of my serpent star! Ive moved him to an isolation box but he is refusing food. The other serpent star is completely fine. Not sure what took a bite, stock is
Dwarf lion
Marine betta
2 maroon clowns
4 chromis
Damsel
2firefish
Dwarf angel
Engineer goby
Melanarus wrasse
Watchmen goby

Inverts
Halloween hermits
Blue and red leg hermits
Coral banded shrimp
Sea hare
Snails
One other serpent star besides this guy

Anyone have any tips to help him heal?? Sorry for the photos, unable to get white lights on him

F5F03865-6D1D-48C2-B82E-C08BCF52FB7E.jpeg C27A3A23-7A18-4281-ADC8-4C5069FD8DA5.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dwarf lion maybe! These little buddies are resilient but I’d move to a separate tank or keep him in the breeder box isolated and maintain good water quality and monitor him! I hope the little guy heals. Meanwhile I’m interested in how you have kept that list of fish together without anyone eating each other besides this instance lol?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dwarf lion maybe! These little buddies are resilient but I’d move to a separate tank or keep him in the breeder box isolated and maintain good water quality and monitor him! I hope the little guy heals.
I dont think it was the lion, shes pretty small still and they eat their prey whole, not known for having sharp teeth to puncture. Im thinking wrasse or dwarf angel honestly

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been the angel, also keep an eye on the coral banded shrimp, it is certainly capable of damaging the star.
I had an emerald crab tear apart a serpent star, but it started with the legs.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been the angel, also keep an eye on the coral banded shrimp, it is certainly capable of damaging the star.
I had an emerald crab tear apart a serpent star, but it started with the legs.
Yeah shes rude, killed an arrow crab. She also has a very specific cave that she shares with my marine betta. And Im for sure watching the other star like a hawk. That one shares a cave with my engineer, so he is usually hidden. The one that got bit is usually out and about so easy for anyone to get at!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my Melanurus Wrasse go after my sand sifting starfish. Hasn't damaged it yet, but definitely capable. Fortunately they don't bump into each other too often. Melanurus is under sand from 9pm to 1030am. Star is almost always under sand.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my Melanurus Wrasse go after my sand sifting starfish. Hasn't damaged it yet, but definitely capable. Fortunately they don't bump into each other too often. Melanurus is under sand from 9pm to 1030am. Star is almost always under sand.
That would make sense. The wrasse and angel are new editions, been in there a few weeks. No one else messed with the star before so Im thinking wrasse! He is also not a small wrasse either, good sized for sure.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled about 50+ empty snail shells out of my tank. I attribute most of them to Melanurus wrasse also. But I've had him well over a year and I knew what to expect when I got him. He doesn't bother any other fish.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled about 50+ empty snail shells out of my tank. I attribute most of them to Melanurus wrasse also. But I've had him well over a year and I knew what to expect when I got him. He doesn't bother any other fish.
Oh good to know! LFS said he was a peaceful wrasse! My snails reproduce so much though so thats not a deal breaker for me! Ill keep an eye on my stars though. I will be upset if he is trying to eat them!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't blame the Mel to be honest. They can be rude, but not know to go after larger prey then themselves. Snails, and the occasional crab, sure, but if you keep them well fed, even your CUC is usually safe.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back