Snowflake eel and dwarf lion tankmates

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I know the naso will get huge. The one I am getting is 2 inches now, I fully intend on upgrading the tank down the road when all these fish get way bigger, I just cant afford a 180 right now, the biggest I found on FB market place was the 125!
Imo a Naso would need an 8' long tank minimum but it's up to you.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo a Naso would need an 8' long tank minimum but it's up to you.
How long do they take to grow? Ive read they take a fat minute to grow compared to other tangs. I was planning on a bigger tank like that down the road when all of the inflation and stuff starts to go down so I can afford a big tank like that!

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long do they take to grow? Ive read they take a fat minute to grow compared to other tangs. I was planning on a bigger tank like that down the road when all of the inflation and stuff starts to go down so I can afford a big tank like that!
A quick Google search shows 7" in one year and full grown by 10 years. So yeah plenty of time to upgrade.

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake eel and a scorpion fish in a 35 gallon. Neither is big enough to feel confident in attacking the other. They get along fine, although the eel is hyperactive at night, and I've caught him following my fish around, harassing him by getting too close. I feed both at the same time (thawed krill shrimp w/ tongs) + they do not fight when feeding either.

I introduced the eel by putting him in a glass jar w/in the tank so they got used to seeing each other. I also set up a hiding place for the eel which the scorpion fish can't enter as a precaution. I also fed both about 20 mins before releasing the eel.

They are an odd couple, both in personality and appearance.

I'll keep my eye on them as they grow-- at some point I may have to split them up.

Hope some of this info is helpful + best wishes on your new tank!

Attachments

• 20230429_170807 (1).jpg
    20230429_170807 (1).jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230429_170744.jpg
    20230429_170744.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 50

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am getting a shallow 100 gal tank, so they should have more grow space by the end of the month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake eel and a scorpion fish in a 35 gallon. Neither is big enough to feel confident in attacking the other. They get along fine, although the eel is hyperactive at night, and I've caught him following my fish around, harassing him by getting too close. I feed both at the same time (thawed krill shrimp w/ tongs) + they do not fight when feeding either.

I introduced the eel by putting him in a glass jar w/in the tank so they got used to seeing each other. I also set up a hiding place for the eel which the scorpion fish can't enter as a precaution. I also fed both about 20 mins before releasing the eel.

They are an odd couple, both in personality and appearance.

I'll keep my eye on them as they grow-- at some point I may have to split them up.

Hope some of this info is helpful + best wishes on your new tank!
Woah that scorpion fish is so cool!!

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they fail to tell you when they share a story of something like a snowflake crushing a tangs skull. !st they are likely jsut repeating some folklore they have heard or read. And 2nd, that scenario woukd go something like this. The snowflake was gotten as a mature individual and likely not in the tank long, the tang was likely very small and/or they introduced a new tang and the eel quickly responded in a feeding response. A tank raised snowflake is very unlikely going to wrestle down a fish if that fish is appropriately sized and introduced. A snowflake may snack on smaller wrasses or gobies or similar
I currently have two adult firefish, a yellow watchman goby, some shrimp, cuc, a banded snake eel, royal gramma, and some bigger fish. Would a snowflake eel be ok in the tank? What would be the best way about it? Buying a juvenile? Thanks so much!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two adult firefish, a yellow watchman goby, some shrimp, cuc, a banded snake eel, royal gramma, and some bigger fish. Would a snowflake eel be ok in the tank? What would be the best way about it? Buying a juvenile? Thanks so much!
So the guy I got the eel from has had the eel eat smaller fish and a a few lyertail anthias. So Im not sure your small fish would be okay, but you do gave an eel already so I guess its luck of the draw?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back