Something hanging from clown gill?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the right gill is sticking out more and there is a white something in the gill slit. Easier to see last few seconds of video. What could this be and what are next steps? Fish is eating normally and no other issues. Maybe moving it's mouth a bit as it swims

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty big. I thought you cant see flukes with eye?
1000016435.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1000016435.jpg
Looks like part of the gill plate or mucus. Fish is breathing rapid but I also see excess current for this fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000016435.jpg

Correct, you cannot see flukes on a fish directly, but you can sometimes see them based on the damage they do (cloudy eyes for example can be a symptom of fluke damage).

This isn't a fluke, gill flukes are too small to be seen without a microscope and they don't protrude like that. This is probably mechanical damage. Clowns get along .... until they don't. You may never see them fight, they are pretty observant and when you are in the room, they usually stop fighting to watch you.

In the absence of other symptoms, I would just observe this for now.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, you cannot see flukes on a fish directly, but you can sometimes see them based on the damage they do (cloudy eyes for example can be a symptom of fluke damage).

This isn't a fluke, gill flukes are too small to be seen without a microscope and they don't protrude like that. This is probably mechanical damage. Clowns get along .... until they don't. You may never see them fight, they are pretty observant and when you are in the room, they usually stop fighting to watch you.

Jay
Thank you

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
When I researched on Humble Fish there is a link to flukes with a photo and you can see them. That's why you can see them after a freshwater dip.
1703699641732.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I researched on Humble Fish there is a link to flukes with a photo and you can see them. That's why you can see them after a freshwater dip.
1703699641732.png

Those are not flukes - see the eyespots? Monogenean flukes don't have eyespots like that. Digeneans and Turbellarians have eyespots.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back