Something Happened Overnight To My Hammer??

William Norman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2017
Messages
422
Reaction score
289
Location
South East Fl
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Coral and Invert QT, overnight this happened.

Did something eat it ? Or did it get hit by on of the other coral's sweepers?

Only thing that I did before I went to bed was feed Oyster Feast.

In the QT are blue hermita, Ceriths and Nerites and other corals.

My parms are using API
Temp 78
Gravity 1.024
Ammonia approx .15
PH 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alk - 10
Calc 400


20180201_082203.jpg


20180125_163932.jpg
 
Last edited:
In my Coral and Invert QT, overnight this happened.

Did something eat it ? Or did it get hit by on of the other coral's sweepers?

Only thing that I did before I went to bed was feed Oyster Feast.

In the QT are blue hermita, Ceriths and Nerites and other corals.

My parms are using API
Temp 78
Gravity 1.024
Ammonia approx .15
PH 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alk - 10
Calc 400

20180125_163932.jpg


20180201_082203.jpg
It may be due to the ammonia. In a fully cycled tank you shouldn't be reading any ammonia or nitrite. Your salinity is ok but you may want to up it to 1.025-1.026. How long has it been in your qt tank? And what lighting do you have it under and how much flow is it getting?
 
You may have had an ammonia spike if you're registering some with your test kit. I would do a good water change and see if that helps.
 
Would an ammonia spike affect one head and not the other ?

The flow is low, the par is about 150. I forget the name of the LED.

It has been in QT for 3 weeks.
 
How old is this tank? Are there any fish in this tank? I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the tank finished cycling. A cycled tank should not have ammonia. It is detrimental to both your fish and coral.
 
The tank is about 6 months old. It is only QT for coral and inverts. I have been feeding heavy, so I think the HOB and small amount of rock couldn't keep up. Its a 5 Gal tank, so if my had is too heavy the ammonia will go up.
I did a water change of 2 gals when I saw the ammonia number.

Still even with the slight amount of ammonia, I wouldn't have expected the hammer to react this way.
 
Euphyllia are hardy, but become fickle due to parameter issues.
And bjd
 
Have you been running your HOB filter for 6 months? Besides the sponge what else you have in that filter? If a coral or fish is already stressed a small chemical imbalance is all it needs for it's condition to go downhill. Based on everything that you have explained so far, Ammonia is the only thing that makes sense for the polyp bailout.
 
Yes the HOB has been running but I change out the filter floss every week when I do a water change. I am wondering if I need to add some more rock and sponge to the tank to add more bio filter.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new