Something in the sump

Psy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how do I stop get rid of this stuff growing in my sump, should I let it go it's only in my sump? What is it? All my corals are growing have good color sps, and lps.

20190324_155331.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be grape caulerpa ( a macro algae). It can be VERY invasive because it will send roots as deep into the rocks as it can. I'd get rid of it if it were me. Use something better suited to nutrient export like chaetomorpha algae that isn't so invasive.

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly what kind of algae you are dealing with, but based on the above advice, I think you might consider adding another "friendlier" macro to eat up the excess nutrients that are making this one thrive. Do you already have chaeto?

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second glance, yes I think I do know that one! I used to grow it on purpose. Caulpera something or other.... does it grow fern-like "leaves" in along the vine, opposite from the root-like holdfast? Or smooth leaf-looking extensions with rippled edges?

I did read alllll kinds of warnings about it going sexual randomly and causing system crashes. I never had enough in my system to cause a problem; I had it in the display where I could keep an eye on it and my fish were constantly nibbling on it.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am seeing two types of algae growing in there. Caulerpa and something else red. Which is the OP referring to? If it is the green, you can just work on pulling it and replace with something like chaeto and then keep removing any that grows back. If it is the red, then I guess what James M said and scrape it and siphon it out. Probably some other way to control it too, but I was a novice last time I had tanks (and had moderate algae everywhere) and am only now the last year or so been prepping to get back in so don't have first hand experience with it. Just wanted to comment since people seem to be looking at two different things in the photo.

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am seeing two types of algae growing in there. Caulerpa and something else red. Which is the OP referring to? If it is the green, you can just work on pulling it and replace with something like chaeto and then keep removing any that grows back. If it is the red, then I guess what James M said and scrape it and siphon it out. Probably some other way to control it too, but I was a novice last time I had tanks (and had moderate algae everywhere) and am only now the last year or so been prepping to get back in so don't have first hand experience with it. Just wanted to comment since people seem to be looking at two different things in the photo.
Good eye!!! I can barely tell there is a second kind, but I think I see what you're talking about in the bottom middle. Nice.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with that type is that it can and will reproduce sexually with no warning. It will then begin to grow on every inch of every rock in the DT.
This is not true at all. Many people use caulerpa, myself included. It’s better at nutrient export than chaeto, less sensitive than chaeto, doesent randomly reproduce all over? So confused what you mean by that...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seagrapes. Can grow quick and overtake sump. You can tie them together to open up flow. I light cleaning pf sump will help with flow and reduction of waste in sump.

Boltline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree here... chaeto can be really hard to keep alive. I've fail many times trying to grow it. Ive heard of ppl dosing iron just to keep it from dying.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all need to take a step back. The OP didn't specify which algae they are asking about. It is hard for grape caulerpa to just randomly appear in a sump unless it was put there or came on a piece of live rock. I don't see any live rock in the sump and the OP says the display is clean.

This leads me to think they are talking about the red algae which looks like the common pink fluffy stuff aka Cotton Candy Algae. My experience with this stuff is it comes and goes. As conditions change, they might be favorable and it will appear. I've never had any issue with it and from what I can tell, most CUC will devour it. I recommend you relax and not worry about the algae.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back