Something is tripping my tank power strip.

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm not at my tank right now, so I can't give a breakdown of what brands I have of everything. I've got a 180gal DT and a 55gal sump. I don't have much on the powerstrip (dj powerstrip), so it should be easy to figure out what I've got going bad this weekend. I'm thinking it's my return pump or the heater. So far I can rule out the protein skimmer. That leaves the return pump, wave makers, heater and the power strip itself. The pump is the oldest item, maybe 4 years old. Every other item is less than a year old. The lights aren't on the power strip.
Does anyone know if a dying return pump might start drawing more current when it's going? I haven't noticed any changes in sounds or water levels, but this just started happening over the night.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pump can have a leak in the housing or insulation tah will trip a circuit breaker and still put out normal flow. One similar issue I had traced to an urchin chewing through the insulation on a heater cord. :/

OP
OP
O

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pump can have a leak in the housing or insulation tah will trip a circuit breaker and still put out normal flow. One similar issue I had traced to an urchin chewing through the insulation on a heater cord. :/
This is an external pump and it was dry all around it this morning.

Back