Something is tripping my tank power strip.

  • Thread starter Thread starter oldpaddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

oldpaddy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
78
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm not at my tank right now, so I can't give a breakdown of what brands I have of everything. I've got a 180gal DT and a 55gal sump. I don't have much on the powerstrip (dj powerstrip), so it should be easy to figure out what I've got going bad this weekend. I'm thinking it's my return pump or the heater. So far I can rule out the protein skimmer. That leaves the return pump, wave makers, heater and the power strip itself. The pump is the oldest item, maybe 4 years old. Every other item is less than a year old. The lights aren't on the power strip.
Does anyone know if a dying return pump might start drawing more current when it's going? I haven't noticed any changes in sounds or water levels, but this just started happening over the night.
 
A pump can have a leak in the housing or insulation tah will trip a circuit breaker and still put out normal flow. One similar issue I had traced to an urchin chewing through the insulation on a heater cord. :/
 
A pump can have a leak in the housing or insulation tah will trip a circuit breaker and still put out normal flow. One similar issue I had traced to an urchin chewing through the insulation on a heater cord. :/
This is an external pump and it was dry all around it this morning.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new