Something looks wrong with my Lionfish

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something looks wrong with My volitan lionfish. I think it is loosing it's pelvic ray(sorry if I name wrong body part). It's diet include mollies(10 in single time) and sometime prawns. Also it is changing it's colour a lot(from red to black) and is looking like it is mad at something:confused-face:. Thanks for help:). I think it may be nutritional problem. So in that case, what should I feed it? https://youtube.com/shorts/jgcNP0u772o?feature=share
IMG20230330123448.jpg
IMG_20230330_123746.jpg
IMG20230330123521.jpg

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like diet is great. I would check for fin nipping by other fish or perhaps a bacterial issue. @lion king

Edit: I'm not really seeing the problem in the pictures so that's just from your description

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like diet is great. I would check for fin nipping by other fish or perhaps a bacterial issue. @lion king

Edit: I'm not really seeing the problem in the pictures so that's just from your description
Only velvet demsel is it's tank mate.
I'll try to post a better pic:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps. U can see that it's lower fin(don't know the name of this part so I made a arrow) is looking like it is breaking
Screenshot_20230330-192045_YouTube.jpg

Upvote 0

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only velvet demsel is it's tank mate.
I'll try to post a better pic:)
Velvet damsels can be nasty when full grown… possibly bring nipped by tank mates much faster than your lion. Had a Picasso trigger once that demolished most of a volitan’s fins overnight- had to separate them permanently. Think the trigger considered his buddy a tasty urchin…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet damsels can be nasty when full grown… possibly bring nipped by tank mates much faster than your lion. Had a Picasso trigger once that demolished most of a volitan’s fins overnight- had to separate them permanently. Think the trigger considered his buddy a tasty urchin…
Demsel is sick:) and it has lost it's tail from tail rot so I don't think it can show aggression. They both stay together on the upper and sometime lionfish rush towards it and it runs. So, I think that demsel actually afraid of lionfish. When demsel was not sick, it used to attack lionfish with it's tail but now demsel not show any aggression

Still, I will put a camera to see as sometime fish can literally fools you:)

Here is an example, lionfish suddenly got mad on demsel

Upvote 0

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Demsel is sick:) and it has lost it's tail from tail rot so I don't think it can show aggression. They both stay together on the upper and sometime lionfish rush towards it and it runs. So, I think that demsel actually afraid of lionfish. When demsel was not sick, it used to attack lionfish with it's tail but now demsel not show any aggression

Still, I will put a camera to see as sometime fish can literally fools you:)

Here is an example, lionfish suddenly got mad on demsel
Camera is a good idea. Damsels are not simple-had a starckii that murdered my lineatus, 2spot tang, and borbonious even though it was the smallest fish in the tank. Charlie Manson reincarnated-first and last damsel i will ever add to my reef

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st, what are your water parameters, as poor water conditions could explain all.. The red volitan turning a black color is stress and/or aggression. The fin rot could be a bacterial issue caused by poor water conditions. How big is he and how often are you feeding.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st, what are your water parameters, as poor water conditions could explain all.. The red volitan turning a black color is stress and/or aggression. The fin rot could be a bacterial issue caused by poor water conditions. How big is he and how often are you feeding.
I feed 3 times a week. It is 2-3 months old. I think it is showing aggression to demsel. I hv checked water conditions and everything looks fine. I noticed It is loosing this part from both sides
Screenshot_20230330-192045_YouTube.jpg

Upvote 0

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Everything looks fine' is not enough data for anyone to give a suggestion. The fact that you state another fish has fin issues should nail that point keenly home.

I would look at Nitrate and pH being a culprit here. Aside from tankmate aggression, it would be a more likely contributor to fin recession.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Everything looks fine' is not enough data for anyone to give a suggestion. The fact that you state another fish has fin issues should nail that point keenly home.

I would look at Nitrate and pH being a culprit here. Aside from tankmate aggression, it would be a more likely contributor to fin recession.
I am checking ph. Nitrate is at 10-20( I hv colour kit). I also had put a camera to keep an eye on demsel

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water checks out, although it would be unlikely, the damsel could be nipping at the fins and the lion turns black in aggression towards the damsel. I ask how big, not how long you have had him, his size would give more of an indicator of his maturity, which in turn would indicate how often to feed. Once they start reaching around 7" a couple times a week would be fine. For any of that nipping not to turn bacterial, your water quality must be very good.

You must also check ammonia

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water checks out, although it would be unlikely, the damsel could be nipping at the fins and the lion turns black in aggression towards the damsel. I ask how big, not how long you have had him, his size would give more of an indicator of his maturity, which in turn would indicate how often to feed. Once they start reaching around 7" a couple times a week would be fine. For any of that nipping not to turn bacterial, your water quality must be very good.

You must also check ammonia
Oo sorry sorry. Here's a pic of both the fish. Both I think r nearly of same size.
20230330_201755.jpg
Ammonia is at 0.5 so that can be a problem. I will do a water change soon.
Screenshot_20230330-203650_Video Player.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ph is at 8 which I think is fine. Ammonia is bit elevated coz of detritus

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and pH aren't so much a concern then. Normally in predator tanks I see those both very different. (Above 80 and below 7.5, both of which can lead to fin recession)
I saw that Lionfish's both sides fins r like that. Can this can be coz tank is at hyposalinity(1.012)?

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back