Something looks wrong with my Lionfish

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something looks wrong with My volitan lionfish. I think it is loosing it's pelvic ray(sorry if I name wrong body part). It's diet include mollies(10 in single time) and sometime prawns. Also it is changing it's colour a lot(from red to black) and is looking like it is mad at something:confused-face:. Thanks for help:). I think it may be nutritional problem. So in that case, what should I feed it? https://youtube.com/shorts/jgcNP0u772o?feature=share
IMG20230330123448.jpg
IMG_20230330_123746.jpg
IMG20230330123521.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would VERY slowly bring it up to seawater levels, unless there's a fundamental reason to keep the salinity low for more than a day or so.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo sorry sorry. Here's a pic of both the fish. Both I think r nearly of same size.
20230330_201755.jpg
Ammonia is at 0.5 so that can be a problem. I will do a water change soon.
Screenshot_20230330-203650_Video Player.jpg

Yes that it a problem, and hypo will also add to that. Maintaining biological at hypo can be challenging, Why is he at hypo after having him for 2-3months?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that it a problem, and hypo will also add to that. Maintaining biological at hypo can be challenging, Why is he at hypo after having him for 2-3months?
It was not showing any symptoms but suddenly after 1 month I noticed some white seed like thing on it's eye and after fw dip, I seen flukes. Same problem is with demsel. I think I can move lionfish to qt and treat it with prazi(if I find it here)

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my fish has flukes so I hv done hyposalinity. I usually keep my salinity at 1.016-1.018

Get ammonia under control and bring up the salinity slowly as @StatelineReefer suggested. Flukes are very easily and safely treated with prazi pro.

Upvote 0

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not showing any symptoms but suddenly after 1 month I noticed some white seed like thing on it's eye and after fw dip, I seen flukes. Same problem is with demsel
Instead of the hypo, just use prazi pro. It is reef safe and will tackle the issue of flukes without stressing your fish like this. If you have an ammonia problem because of detritus, do some labor in the tank and remove it.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Gonna get the expert to chime in here. I don't personally feel hypo for extended time is benefiting the fish or detrimental enough to the flukes.
Just to clarify, I’ve been working with the OP about problems in this tank. The damsel has some systemic issue - edema and very rapid respiration. I’m surprised it is still alive. I had suspected flukes, thus the hypo treatment. Most likely the hypo/flukes is causing the lion to become pale. The ammonia needs to be tracked down, either something is really wrong with the tank or the test kit is giving a bad reading.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had called my LFS to check the water parameters from other kits. Luckily my kits shown right readings. He says that lionfish may got injured by rocks or may be bullied by demsel

When I saw the recording of the camera, I saw that sometime lionfish enjoys company of demsel(with it's fins down) but sometimes it gets irritate from demsel as it always runs here and there
(I noticed lionfish fins were up and it change it's colour to black)

Also, I found that lionfish is trying to go under the small cave so may be it got injured while doing that. So, I'll try to make another one. For now I'll keep an close eye on it

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back