Something on the stingray

Kjtanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought two stingrays at my lfs and maybe like 5 day later I noticed some small worm thing on one of there body’s but they were both eating fine and swimming and Active so I try looking it up and couldn’t find anything so I asked my lfs if he know what they were and he told me he had no clue but it wasn’t effecting the stingray so a bout a week and a half goes by and I turn my light on yesterday and one the the Ray is cover all over with these little worm looking think and was acting very weird staying In one spot of the tank not doing anything so I call my lfs and asked what I should do he recommend me hydroplex dip so I did that last night but it doesn’t look like it made much of a difference if any one has some in sight that might help I appreciate for any advice in advance

A567A350-CA0B-43C1-BB92-7B89A7C0225A.jpeg F53D795F-BEC9-4BB4-B434-A0F7A1AD37CC.jpeg EC5914EB-0ECE-442B-B87E-4E931614D6CC.jpeg EA885215-7D73-4EE6-A539-5676E17C080C.jpeg

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely appears to be flukes... not sure how well rays can handle freshwater dips... maybe someone else can chime in. Usual treatment for flukes is prazipro or general cure (General cure is not reef safe). I'd verify before treating though. I'm also not sure how well rays take certain medicines either...

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks and rays should be fine with praziquantel and metronidazole in gc. If using gc i would also pick up seachem metroplex so can keep the metronidazole concentrations up in between the 7 day gc dosing schedule.

OP
OP
K

Kjtanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you guy for the information I’m going to the lfs to get some prazipro so I can start treating the tank one the one stingray that was cover didn’t make it so I’m going to start treating the other ready in the tank and the coral cat shark thank you guy I will keep my finger crossed

OP
OP
K

Kjtanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@millimalilly @Gareth elliott @reef lover @BloopFish thank you guy so much I dosed my tank with prazipro and I already see a difference in my stingray I don’t see any think on him like everything died and fell off thank for everything I should of post on here sooner I might of been able to save the other one your guy are amazing I appreciate the help thanks a million

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the ray looks better!
Sharks and rays have their own challenges because of their anatomy and medication intolerance. Remember to dose prazipro again in 7 days after a water change. Keep an eye on them for any secondary pathogens. A black molly in an acclimation box might make this easier to spot.

Anything you feed be sure to add vitamins to, live foods gut load the day or 2 before feeding.

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they're fine. I don't know much about these fish but I think they're amazing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back