Something other than plastic mesh for algae scrubber?

tankdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I love the idea of an algae scrubber. Filtering through a more diverse, balanced eco system makes great sense. One of the first thoughts I had after looking up the basics is, why not use a nylon or polyester sock for the substrate? Everyone seems to be using some form of ruffed up plastic for a lot of surface area on something that won't degrade. A sock seems to already fit the bill. I know there is usually some spandex in socks. Could that be a problem?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no probs, might be hard to clean. & I think You want to leave some on the screen as a seed. Also soak it good to remove any chemicals on the what ever You try.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues I see with using filter sock material (which is perfectly fine to use, btw) is that:

1) it captures and collects detritus. So over the long term, that could be a problem

2) it does not allow light to transmit from one side to the other. This is one of the major reasons not to use any colored mesh, but rather to use the clear mesh. Even that makes a difference - allowing light to transmit from one side to the other.

I use a mortar coating on mine, which is of course opaque, but that is a sacrificial layer - so, over time, there is light transmission through the mesh. This small amount of light that gets through from one side to the other helps keep the base/roots of algal growth alive a bit longer so that you can allow the screen to grow for a longer period of time.

OP
OP
T

tankdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues I see with using filter sock material (which is perfectly fine to use, btw) is that:

1) it captures and collects detritus. So over the long term, that could be a problem

2) it does not allow light to transmit from one side to the other. This is one of the major reasons not to use any colored mesh, but rather to use the clear mesh. Even that makes a difference - allowing light to transmit from one side to the other.

I use a mortar coating on mine, which is of course opaque, but that is a sacrificial layer - so, over time, there is light transmission through the mesh. This small amount of light that gets through from one side to the other helps keep the base/roots of algal growth alive a bit longer so that you can allow the screen to grow for a longer period of time.
So, I actually meant a nylon athletic sock, but now I’m thinking a scotch bright scouring pad. As for light on the back, I haven’t heard that is critical, but can’t that be covered with ambient light in an up flow design any way?

OP
OP
T

tankdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a bag of nylon tube socks from Walmart is a lot cheaper, and already on hand actually. I get that no rigidity is a down side for cleaning, but it already comes “rough”.

OP
OP
T

tankdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I actually meant a nylon athletic sock, but now I’m thinking a scotch bright scouring pad. As for light on the back, I haven’t heard that is critical, but can’t that be covered with ambient light in an up flow design any way?
Never mind on the scouring pads. I didn’t realize they had aluminum oxide in them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back