Soo... Resetting my DT. This is going to be a giant pain.

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to be resetting my (was wife's) JBJ 28 Nano Cube. It's currently running but my wife has grown bored of it, so it's been handed to me to take over and it's time to get rid of all the stuff out of there that's causing issues. The tank is over run with brown star polyps, and xenia, and bubble algae. There's also a huge toadstool leather that is way too big for the tank and I have a big colony of magic coral (it's some kind of leather maybe, you pretty much never see it. The farm I got it from only had ever had the one mother colony that ours came from.) but it's also too big for the tank and needs to go.

My plan is to save a hand full of corals and keep the 2 fish that are still alive. I have a bunch of bright green rhodactis, a few riccordias, a zoa colony, and a few different mushrooms. Then after the re-set be very selective on corals and keeping it to LPS, zoas, and riccordia/yumas and the like.

Basically I'm weighing a couple options with goal of getting the current tank completely empty so I can clean it all and remove the sand, get the rocks bleached and cleaned and get a bare bottom set up cycling.

Option 1:
My current idea is to basically frag/chip off all the corals from the rocks and sell off the extra corals and the 2 large colonies then a local guy is going to be baby sitting my fish and corals that I'm keeping while I cycle the tank. The advantage of this one is that it's cheaper though it does require me to move live stock.

Option 2:
Get a 30g tank to transfer the existing rock and fish. Get new dry rock and cycle the tank. Then frag off what I want to keep. Advantage is that I don't have to move live stock to someone else's house, but it'd require me buying or obtaining a tank and getting more rock and then having left over rock when I'm down with the transfer tank.

I'm leaning towards option 1 even though 2 sounds a little more convenient. If anyone has any thoughts feel free to share.

-ZD

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super afraid of disease that could be more of a concern if your fish were not in your place. (I have nothing against a local fish store).
I think getting rid of the bubble algae is going to be more challenging, and a slow resorting into display sounds safer. I would vote for 2.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back