soooo, converting wet dry? helpppp

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current sump

I would like to get bio balls out and put rock in.

Suggestions? Should rock sit on bottom or on egggrate 5inches up.... can i fill sump more tha. I would with bio balls? Cant my skimmer move into side with rock where bio balls used to be? And do i need to change way baffle is?

I will be getting a sock and sock hanger

Thanks for any help

View attachment 1460845748907.jpg

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive aquired for free an identicle sump for free so i can do this over time ... i also want to know if i can use dry rock and let the backteria colonize on new rock or if it must be live and can i do this without special lighting. Also should i put a bed of live sand in...lol i have tons of q. Anyone out there?

For some reason it wont let me put a pic on ive tried eveyway

Here a link to what it is
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...f2DoMM:;Cgq6HiZFf2DoMM:&imgrc=Cgq6HiZFf2DoMM:

View attachment 1460925597349.jpg

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for recycling when possible, but I'd be very tempted to punt both sumps and just get a glass tank down there. Craigslist!!

As for keeping it, I'd consider removing the bio-balls (though they don't hurt anything), but only if it was possible to have the space open. I wouldn't put rock or sand down there - keep that in the display.

I suspect the way the tank is baffled, using the space for other things is going to be problematic.

Lentzjj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump looking for ideas if you ever made it work. I'm very limited on space due to a corner tank.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put Siporax Pro in that sump to replace the bioballs if you want to use it. Bioballs are definite nitrate generators whereas Siporax will eventually reduce nitrate (once denitrifying bacteria are established).

I think that mcarroll's idea of starting with a tank that will fit down there and building a sump that is intended for a reef tank will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. I had a poorly designed sump in my first 75g corner and it made a world of difference for my tank when I switched to a custom Lifereef sump that fit in the stand and used the available space wisely.

I had Crystal Dynamics make a sump for my 150g that is pretty close to what is ideal for me (it should have had more bulkheads to securely accommodate returns from reactors). I am building a sump for my new discus build from a 40g breeder.

Bruce

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same sump. I modified the drip tray to hold 4 sock filters. I removed the bio balls, I put 3 liters of Matrix under. On the other side of the baffles I have a protein skimmer and my return pump. Around them I have 4 liters of Pond Matrix. I will try to take some pictures when I get home.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170422_085947.jpg
ATTACH].jpg

This is what my wet dry now looks like.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very conservative with feeding. The intakes pop off the skimmer for cleaning. Never had to remove the base and it is still clean. Had I built a sump from scratch I would have the skimmer in a separate compartment. This seems to work. Water stays crystal clear and haven't had an algae problem since the mods.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right track, what size tank is it going on and what are the dimensions of the sump. Do you have enough rock and substrate for bacteria real estate in the tank. If not then adding rock to the sump would be beneficial, I've never cared to add sand to my sumps. I've also used seachem matrix biomedia for more biological real estate in my sumps.

Removing the tray and adding the sock for the overflow, then add the rock in the section where the bioballs are now. As far as raising the water level, it's all about leaving enough room for the tank to drain when the pump's off. Also considering what water level the skimmer operates at, you could always build an eggcrate riser to lift up the skimmer.

If it were me, I'd have the overflow go into the filter sock and put my skimmer in that compartment, Then in the 2nd chamber have the rock and refugium. Add an over and under baffle before the return pump to maintain a water level as high as I could.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back