• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Soprano Growout Growth and Update Thread

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the growth update and discussion thread for the Soprano pack growout. A list of the polyps included can be found below (which isn't to shabby).

Soprano
God of War
Time Machines
Fiery Phoenix
Pink Hippos
Blue Rhinos
Insanos
Psycho Trippin
Mayan Sun
Serene Nova 2
Bloodshot
Blondies
Darth Maul
Tyree Arm 2
Laser Lemons
**** Beaches
Black Magic
Ring of Toxins
Slimeria
Princess Toadstool
Soul snatchers
Tequilas

The lucky members participating in this growout

bct15
reefpeeper
joker295
phuster
tabasco1
oigimsar

The package arrived with everything was well packed. The frags were placed inside styrofoam cups that were placed in a styrofoam cooler. So they were well insulated.

cups01.jpg
box01.jpg

Each frag was then individually bagged and labelled. Frags were held in place in plastic cups with holes cut in the bottom and a ziptie to tight them down.

csoprano01.jpg

I acclimated the frags by floating them in the sump for 30 minutes, then I added a shot of tank water every five minutes for about 30 minutes (I didnt take any pics of this part, sorry guys). I then placed each frag in my frag rack which had just enough room for all of the frags. I didn't have time to take any good pics then because I had to go straight to my labs. I am not a professional photographer and only use a point and shoot camera, but it gets the job done. My camera is acting wierd right now (the screens starts dancing when I zoom in or completely goes out of focus, and I have it on a tripod). I was able to take some group shots though, and you can see everything. These images were taken about 3 to 4 hours after being placed inside the tank.

333.jpg

Back Left to Right: Tequilas, Serene Nova 2, Blood Shot, Mayan Sun
Center Left to Right: Time Machines, Tyree arm 2, Soul Snatchers
Closest Left to Right: Fiery Phoenix, Insanos

332.jpg

Back Left to Right: Darth Mauls, tequilas, serene nova 2
Center Left to Right: Soprano, time machines
Front Left to Right: Eclipse (DOA), Blondies, Fiery Phoenix

Last edited:
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
335.jpg

Back Left to Right: Ring of Toxins, **** Beaches, Pink Hippos
Center Left to Right: Princess Toadstool, Laser Lemons
Closest Left to Right: Psycho Trippin, Blue Rhino

334.jpg

Back Left to Right: Bloodshot, Mayan Sun, Ring of Toxin, **** Beaches
Center Left to Right: Soul Snatchers, Slimeria, Princess Toadstool
Closest Left to Right: God of War, Black Magic, Psycho Trippin

Most of the frags have shown at least a little signs of life. The soprano has openned a little which is the big name in here, let's hope it stays this way!! The only one that hasn't really shown that it wants to open is the mayan suns, and I think one of the frags might not have anything on it. It is in the left corner of the post before this one.

I like the idea of keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of the polyp growth, I think I will make it this weekend. Then we will all know the exact amount of polyps of each frag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Which is the soprano?

I edited the first post so you know what pic has the soprano, I am also going to edit the first post wry the list of frags in the growout tomorrow. Just wanted to get the pics to you guys

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. Almost feel like I received em myself. ;) thanks and the are looking good for only acclimating a couple hrs.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals it's a quick update, the empty frag turned out to be the eclipse zoas. I have already received a $20 refund for it (it was one if the addins, there was ten add ins at twenty bucks a piece). I will paypal everybody the split as soon as I get a chance. The Mayan suns still haven't opened, and the soulsnatchers only have two polyps opening out of the whole bunch (but its the same ones in the picture open in the sale thread). Everyone else is fully open and looking good. I intend to add the full polyp list and label the pictures in the first post by tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I was kind of thinking those might be the ones on the empty frag as I couldn't ID them from the group pics above. Bummer, they were sweet! Thanks for handling the communication with Akwarius and getting that worked out.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to upload files, so here is a bar graph of the initial polyp count for each frag. I have set it up so each time I update it you will easily be able to notice the newest polyp count and growth. When we get farther along I will make another plot with the actual growth rates for those who are interesed. The mayan suns are listed as a half polyp since they are not opening, hopefully they recover.

growoutStart.jpg

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possibility you can take a closer pic of the soprano? Just curious as to what it looks like in your tank.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possibility you can take a closer pic of the soprano? Just curious as to what it looks like in your tank.

I'll try tomorrow, my camera is acting strange when I zoom in more than a little bit. It's a cannon powershot sx210. When i try to zoom in on a polyp it starts zooming back and forth a really small distance really fast. When I snap the picture it has a motion blur in it (I'm using a tripod). I can tell you that the polyp is definitely unique, has a gold splatter pattern. I have never seen anything in a fishtank that color, it is pretty bright but the brightest is either the insanos or the psycho trippin. If i have to I will load up an iPhone pic.

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that happens to my camera sometimes when I'm too close, try not to use the zoom too much and step back, I would like too see how they look also, what lights do you have?

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get some better shots of the soprano, it is hard to capture the color. These pics are under 250w xm 15k de MH, 1 80 w ati aque blue special, one 80 w ati purple plus, and the pictures are pulled straight from the camera, resized to a suitable size, and uploaded to you guys. This is as close as my camera is letting me get, after this it either goes really blurry or starts moving the picture. A couple of my fish thought they were part of a photo shoot and kept getting in the pics so I decided to give them their five minutes of fame and upload some of the photos with them in it.

sopSHot03.jpg

If you have ever seen a yellow wrasse in person then you can kind of judge how far the color intensity is off.

sopSHot02.jpg

sopSHot04.jpg

sopShot01.jpg

Again, you can look at the yellow tang and judge the color. The color is pretty close on each shot, but maybe a little off.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic update. Love the bar graph! ;) hope it wasn't too much of a time suck. Let me know if you want the updating bar graph responsibility off your plate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back