Sorry if this is redundant but…

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B set up as a reef aquarium for about 18 months now and am upgrading to a 110 like today. I’m planning on moving all my rock and current livestock (fish and corals, probably not inverts) to the new tank. My husband loves all the fish that aren’t reef safe and wants to keep the 40 B as a FOWLR tank, I’m not so sure since I do 95% of the work!!
What is essential in a reef tank but not in a FOWLR tank? I know fish don’t care about lighting but what else could I do without so I’m not buying duplicate equipment I may not need?

thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks and powerheads are all you need, plus a heater, and cheap aquarium light. You can get a hob filter if you want some mechanical filtration, but thats it. Change the water when nitrates get high, its pretty easy actually.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks and powerheads are all you need, plus a heater, and cheap aquarium light. You can get a hob filter if you want some mechanical filtration, but thats it. Change the water when nitrates get high, its pretty easy actually.
You’re my new best friend! I have all kinds of spare lighting and HOB filters and heaters etc so if I can get rid of the sump and the fancy plumbing I’m willing to do it!

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they’re fully adjustable with an app. Fish don’t need blues though, correct? They’re Current USA lights I bought a couple of years ago from Marine Depot

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re my new best friend! I have all kinds of spare lighting and HOB filters and heaters etc so if I can get rid of the sump and the fancy plumbing I’m willing to do it!
If you already have it connected to a sump and running I would pass on the hob and continue using the sump.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have it connected to a sump and running I would pass on the hob and continue using the sump.
I just really hate the external overflow and my plumbing, which I recycled from another tank, has some minor leakage so I’ll probably go with the HOB or maybe a canister filter

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just really hate the external overflow and my plumbing, which I recycled from another tank, has some minor leakage so I’ll probably go with the HOB or maybe a canister filter
I run Fluval FX6 on my 160 along with sump skimmer etc. wouldn’t probably need something that big on a 40, but without any other filtration you might want to go that big.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 40B set up as a reef aquarium for about 18 months now and am upgrading to a 110 like today. I’m planning on moving all my rock and current livestock (fish and corals, probably not inverts) to the new tank. My husband loves all the fish that aren’t reef safe and wants to keep the 40 B as a FOWLR tank, I’m not so sure since I do 95% of the work!!
What is essential in a reef tank but not in a FOWLR tank? I know fish don’t care about lighting but what else could I do without so I’m not buying duplicate equipment I may not need?

thanks!
1. You do not need as much lighting in a FOWLR tank - in fact less light may make it easier to maintain.
2. You do not necessarily NEED a sump - but it gives more water volume - and improves oxygenation - can also allow a skimmer, heater, etc - to be below the tank - which in a FOWLR is beneficial IMHO - due to appearance.
3. You do not NEED A refugium, as much testing (i.e. frequency)
4. You can use a less expensive version of salt potentially.

Curious which fish do you consider not 'reef safe'?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could be in the sump that is not overkill? Socks, probably. No need for any biological filtration. Refugium? Protein skimmer? Pardon me, I'm spanking new.
Socks are nice, skimmer may or may not be needed. Refugium maybe, nice place for pods to feed fish. Take away the sump and you lose those options. Not must haves but can be nice to haves. Personally I would never run without a sump. But I'm spoiled as my 180 gallon is attached to a 125 gallon sump in my basement so I get to stand up and do maintenance and if I make a mess I squeegee it down the sump crock. Just what you get used to I guess.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a fluval fx6 and two tidal 110 hob filters on my 180 fowlr. And a HOB skimmer. Works great for me.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You do not need as much lighting in a FOWLR tank - in fact less light may make it easier to maintain.
2. You do not necessarily NEED a sump - but it gives more water volume - and improves oxygenation - can also allow a skimmer, heater, etc - to be below the tank - which in a FOWLR is beneficial IMHO - due to appearance.
3. You do not NEED A refugium, as much testing (i.e. frequency)
4. You can use a less expensive version of salt potentially.

Curious which fish do you consider not 'reef safe'?
Honestly I’m so confused about that! I see supposed non-reef safe or reef safe with caution fish in almost every tank pic. We’d like a flame angel maybe a fox face. We don’t have many corals in our current DT. A couple of zoa polyps and a few paly polyps, a Duncan frag and a Duncan colony, hammer and GSP so not sure what kinds of corals they would go after

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I’m so confused about that! I see supposed non-reef safe or reef safe with caution fish in almost every tank pic. We’d like a flame angel maybe a fox face. We don’t have many corals in our current DT. A couple of zoa polyps and a few paly polyps, a Duncan frag and a Duncan colony, hammer and GSP so not sure what kinds of corals they would go after
I have not heard of anything that is 'not reef safe' - I had a flame angel for months - in my tank - never did anything. But the question was - which fish do you want to keep that are 'not reef safe'?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back