Spiny box puffer fish diet

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have only fish in my tank and live rock since I can’t really upkeep corals and all that. I got a new fish which is a spiny box puffer fish. I know that there diet NEEDS hard stuff like clams and all that for their beaks. But the problem with mine is that he doesn’t go for them. He’s not interested. And he hasn’t eaten anything the only thing I found he goes for is bloodworm. But I’m concerned about his beak if he keeps up with being picky…. My help??!!! I inserted some pictures of how my fish looks (these aren’t my photos I’m at work so I can’t take pictures rn lol)

IMG_4589.jpeg IMG_4588.jpeg

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried krill? I had a porcupine puffer which is very similar and that’s how I got him going. I would also feed raw shrimp with the shells on. Also keep in mind I believe the spiny box is like the porcupine in that their beak is not the same as the arothron puffers. It’s more like a plate than a beak and less prone to overgrowth. Having said that yes you should keep trying to get him to eat shellfish of some kind. Good luck with him!

OP
OP
Chela101

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried krill? I had a porcupine puffer which is very similar and that’s how I got him going. I would also feed raw shrimp with the shells on. Also keep in mind I believe the spiny box is like the porcupine in that their beak is not the same as the arothron puffers. It’s more like a plate than a beak and less prone to overgrowth. Having said that yes you should keep trying to get him to eat shellfish of some kind. Good luck with him!
I have heard krill they will go for it but it’s not the main thing you want to feed it. I found a video on YouTube saying they only feed krill to their puffer and he died…. But how is yours doing?? What is he eating now and how you transferred him to eat other stuff? His belly isn’t sucked in so I know he has some food in there to keep him going but still

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard krill they will go for it but it’s not the main thing you want to feed it. I found a video on YouTube saying they only feed krill to their puffer and he died…. But how is yours doing?? What is he eating now and how you transferred him to eat other stuff? His belly isn’t sucked in so I know he has some food in there to keep him going but still
That is true krill was only used to get him feeding not as a long term staple food. After the krill he started taking shrimp with the shell on and would occasionally eat clams on the half shell. I no longer have the puffer but he was fat and happy when I got rid of him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back