Source for sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate.

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, looking for first hand experience on a quality source for nitrate and phosphate. Would prefer to use sodium nitrate to avoid water chemisty issues with excess potassium. I recently purchased these products from Amazon, but before I commence with use I figured it best to ask others for prior experience.
Trisodium Phosphate
Sodium Phosphate Dibasic
Sodium Nitrate
All are listed as food grade. Only concern I have is really with the Sodium Nitrate by Modernist.
According to the COA it shows some heavy metal like copper.
Perhaps im reading this incorrect.

Spec/SDS/COA/Misc

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking for first hand experience on a quality source for nitrate and phosphate. Would prefer to use sodium nitrate to avoid water chemisty issues with excess potassium. I recently purchased these products from Amazon, but before I commence with use I figured it best to ask others for prior experience.
Trisodium Phosphate
Sodium Phosphate Dibasic
Sodium Nitrate
All are listed as food grade. Only concern I have is really with the Sodium Nitrate by Modernist.
According to the COA it shows some heavy metal like copper.
Perhaps im reading this incorrect.

Spec/SDS/COA/Misc

It says zero for copper, doesn’t it? Not a detected level?

Food grade requires some heavy metal testing and limits, which is a main reason to pick it.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is the same Sodium Nitrate that I have used.
The product i posted or the one the other person posted.

It says zero for copper, doesn’t it? Not a detected level?

Food grade requires some heavy metal testing and limits, which is a main reason to pick it.
Yes in the upper section it has 0 for everything but sodium nitrate. In the bottom section it list other heavy metals like copper at a concentration max of 50ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product i posted or the one the other person posted.

Yes in the upper section it has 0 for everything but sodium nitrate. In the bottom section it list other heavy metals like copper at a concentration max of 50ppm.

That is a specification maximum, not an indication that it has any. It’s no concern, imo, and Is certainly not more concerning than a material that has no mention of a specific copper specification.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back