Spaghetti worm in the foot of Maxima Clam. How can I remove it?

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced this? I it's not directly in the foot but along the seam at that pointed part of shell near the foot. The clams intake has been wide but still tear dropped shape and it is fully extended so I'm assuming it's happy. I do see it someone spazzing out once or twice a week where it will repeatedly pump water through itself rather quickly and sometimes even fully closing it's shell when doing so. The worm was in there fairly well when I inspected it. I didn't want to risk damaging the clam by digging it out. I'll probably get a fine pair of tweezers do it if I see any negative signs. This is my first clam which I've had less than 6 weeks so can you guys highlight warning signs (I know a few) and anything I should know like ensuring the clam stays in water while I try to remove the worm?

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had spaghetti worms in tank and I bought a melanurus wrasse and I assuming he has eaten them because they are about gone. I had them pretty bad.

U

User1

View Badges
Unless we are talking about different spaghetti worms they are harmless and pretty decent animals to eat left over stuff. In fact their population should be a sign of left over food or over feeding if you will. At least that is how I judge my good or bad husbandry especially when they are floating around mid water column...grr.

I also have a Maxima clam and I've seen a few on the side of it but didn't think to give it a second thought. If you want to get it just used a long turkey baster if you have one (I have two of various size to feed and/or suck things out of some areas of the tank) and get it that way maybe.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless we are talking about different spaghetti worms they are harmless and pretty decent animals to eat left over stuff. In fact their population should be a sign of left over food or over feeding if you will. At least that is how I judge my good or bad husbandry especially when they are floating around mid water column...grr.

I also have a Maxima clam and I've seen a few on the side of it but didn't think to give it a second thought. If you want to get it just used a long turkey baster if you have one (I have two of various size to feed and/or suck things out of some areas of the tank) and get it that way maybe.
Thanks. Yeah it’s doing fine. I pulled the clam out and the worm was lodged in where the clams foot was so I wasn’t sure if it would just be irritating it or not. It’s been doing great so my worries are gone!

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had spaghetti worms in tank and I bought a melanurus wrasse and I assuming he has eaten them because they are about gone. I had them pretty bad.
Thanks. I feed 0.5 cube per day (I have a 20G) of a frozen mix of Mysis, cyclopes, reef caviar, and brine shrimp that have been soaked in Selcon. I have a spaghetti worms everywhere despite only feeding that amount so I’m a little scared to feed less (I have a clownfish, starry Blenny, and pygmy filefish). I was considering getting a wrasse but I’m not sure if it will survive due to the multiple feedings a day requirement. Is your tank large enough you don’t have to worry a lot multiple feedings for it? I’m gone from 6a -6p for work so and my autofeeder doesn’t fit if I leave my tank cover on.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back